X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

removing gold plating from a kilt pin...

Does anyone know if gold plating can be removed from an object? There is a kilt pin I am interested in, but the company only has gold-plated ones -- the base is pewter -- is there a way to strip that gold plating off?

Thanks!

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be better to make a mold of it and cast one in pewter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a trumpet player... I might be able to help you..

I've removed laquer on a horn before... strong polishes will work with time. Laquer remover will probably work. A strong polish that is good at removing finishes and laquer is "car polishing compound." It comes in a green and white labeled container, usually. It is cylindrical in shape.

I suggest going to the store and reading the labels.. If you want to rub it away with polish, pick the one that says "Do not use on gold plating, for it will remove the plating." If you are going to use laquer remover, brush it on the jewelry, and cover it completely with plastic rap over night. This will trap in the fumes and cause the plating to lift from the surface quicker. You could fill an empty jar with the chemical and place the item within over night aswell.

Don't be suprised if you need to use scrubby pads to completely remove all the plating. They come in different grades of corseness. A fine grade will scratch less. If it comes to that, you'll want car polishing compound to polish out the scratches.

Boiling it several times in a pot of water might work too. It depends on the quality of the plating.

Then again, most the above processes are probably bad on the pewter. I've only stripped brass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I recall correctly, it's not just gold; it's gold over copper (can't plate gold directly over pewter). To strip it clean without eroding the underlying metal would be a trick; I doubt for the home hobbyist. Probably would be easier to take a RTV mold of the original, and cast it in pewter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Does anyone know if gold plating can be removed from an object?
    Todd, if you don't get a good firm answer by this weekend I can check with my brother who is a goldsmith.

The first thing that came to mind was bead blasting. Depends on how delicate the casting is of course, but with a nice gentle media like crushed walnut shells or similar you'd be amazed at just how much control you have of the amount of surface material removed.

I'll watch this thread. If someone doesn't have a better suggestion, I'll get back to you on Sunday.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott & everyone else who has responded -- many thanks for your ideas. Scott, I am particularly interested to see what your brother has to say.

It sounds like it may be more trouble than it is worth, especially if it damages the pewter.

Again, thanks!

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of removing the gold plating and running the risk of damaging the object, consider plating the object with the desired finish. A jeweler should be able to plate over the existing surface of the pin in a variety of metals: Silver plating could be used or tin could also be used to simulate the look of pewter.

I don't know how plating with alloys like pewter would work. Maybe someone knows, but I'd guess the alloy constituents might be separated by the plating process (or that some constituents wouldn't transfer at all from an anode to the pin).

Using your object as the anode could be used to reverse-plate it, where the pin is the sacrificial anode. Some metals though, including gold, are usually dissolved in the electrolyte rather than driven from an anode to the cathode. So I think removing the gold plating electrically might be more difficult than plating over it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Abax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try looking for a janitorial supply. They have a great cleaner that works very well for cleaning chrome but if left on too long the cleaner will remove the chrome, I don't remember what it's called but call the janitorial supply and explain the situation and I'm sure they'll know what it is. It seems to me that it might work for a gold plate as well.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Metalsmith and I would suggest re-plating as your best bet. If you want a white/silver look ask to have it rhodium plated. If on the other hand you wish an antique look have it silver plated and let that oxidize.

removal of plating takes either abrasives < bad for a soft base metal/ pewter

OR a acid that will eat off the gold and copper < bad for your health and the base metal

OR electro stripping , which can use a acid as well

Personally I can never understand why so many of the items I see relating to our clothing addiction are made from what is in most applications a bad choice of metal. Buckles for example should be made out a metal that can resist fatigue and does not bend easily. I'll be honest and admit not having researched the historical buckle systems used but today a steel, silver, titanium, or other tough metal would be my choice for buckles and accessories .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd,

My brother the jeweler also suggested plating it with a different metal to meet the desired look. Any removal of the existing plating would be damaging to the base metal, and could be catastrophically so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast