X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User Infraction System

One of the functions of this new version of vBulletin is an administrative function that is known as the User Infraction System. It is a handy tool for the forum staff, as each and every post has an option (viewable to staff only) to issue the author of that particular post an infraction for customized reasons.

The infractions are cumulative and if (as?) the count adds up for a user, certain changes will take place with that user's account.

We have decided to enable the Infraction System for this forum, so here is a quick outline of how the system works.

If a member posts spam, that member will receive one infraction point.
    If a member insults another member or members, that member will receive one infraction point.
    If a member uses inappropriate language in a post or a signature, that member will receive one infraction point.
    If a member violates the forum rules and policies, that member will receive one infraction point.

At the time the staff adds the infraction to that user, a 30 day clock starts counting down. At the end of 30 days, the user will no longer have any infractions against his/her account. However, if a member receives an infraction today and another tomorrow, then the date is extended to 59 days (29 days on the first infraction and 30 days on the second).

If a member manages to collect three infraction points, that member's usergroup will change to a group that requires moderation of all posts and a loss of nearly all forum privileges. The change will remain in effect until the member's cumulative infraction count drops back below three. To give you a quick overview of what privileges are like in that usergroup -

All posts submitted go into a moderation queue, where they must be approved by staff before being visible on the open forum.
    No post editing is allowed.
    No access to upload or download attachments.
    No access to the Private Messaging system.
    No access to add or edit entries on the forum calendar.
    No editing of the User Profile.
    No access to the Invisible Mode.
    No editing of avatars.
    No signature display.

If a member should receive a cumulative total of four infraction points, that member's account will be banned for 30 days. Yes, we will issue infractions on posts in the moderation queue, prior to deleting them.

If a member manages to collect a total of five infraction points, that member's account will be banned permanently.

The forum staff have always given general and/or questionable rules violations careful consideration and that process will continue. If a member receives an infraction, be sure the forum staff have discussed the problem and have agreed that issuing an infraction is necessary. If an infraction has been assigned to a member's account, that member will receive notice of that action.

If you are now wondering exactly what does and does not constitute an insult to another member, then I strongly urge you to give careful consideration to what you say to others. If you think your words might be taken as being an insult, it is fair to say they likely will. If you think a particular word might be considered to be inappropriate, then it is fair to say it is.

If you have received an infraction and feel it was unwarranted, feel free to send me one Private Message to plead your case. Since infractions will be issued after a voting process by the staff members, it is unlikely that an infraction will be removed. I am willing, however, to hear your side and to present that to the other staff members. I expect all appeals to be presented in a civil manner.

This is another step in the ongoing efforts to maintain this forum as a friendly and family-related forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ye, Mods, for trying to keep our beloved forum clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Sav. Sounds like a good system to me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got no problems at all with this. As long as the mod's make it clear why an infraction is registered, it seems very fair.

Of course, there could be arguments over whether it should be three, four, or whatever number of infractions, I think you guys are doing a great job.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fair to me.

TimC is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense to me. Babysitting all of us is a difficult task. Your doing a great job. I appreciate it.

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I missed this part - how and when will a member be notified they have been given an infraction point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good to me boss I think the rules are fair & resonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job.

Brett

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yo-kay! Fair and balanced.

Best