X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

TheSp8 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilted at the gun show

Last Sat. we went to the Gun Show here in San Antonio. I was styling in the SWK Lamont and a Brotherhood of the Kilt t-shirt. Overall I'd say it was well received. The cop at the door urged me to moon the convention center, needless to say I declined. One vendor told me I couldn't wear an ankle holster with that outfit. He did agree when I told him I could but it wouldn't be concealed. One nice lady stopped us for a short chat and to comment on my sqian dhu tattoo. She was originally from Edinburgh and still had a bit of accent. Two fellows stopped me to talk about their kilts and kilt wearing in general. Two vendors talked to me at length about their clan/family affiliations. Several women made nice comments in passing while quite a few boys in the 12-16 yr range stopped and stared of followed me for a bit to watch. There were no negative comments at all, at least none directed to me.

Later at the Commissary, a young Soldier came up and said that me wearing the kilt just pumped him up and that he wanted on since he was Irish. He said he wanted an Irish Saffron so I gave him SWK web address as well as this address. Hopefully soon, there will be other kilt wearers running around Ft Sam Houston.

So far, folks in TX have been very accepting at the least and very interested at best.

YMOS,
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went kilted to a show here in Houston a couple weeks ago. Had pretty much the same stuff, funny looks, general positive comments. I was almost disappointed that I didn't get to employ any snappy comebacks! My favorite incident was as I approched a friend who was looking at safes; when I came around the corner, the lady salesperson just stopped in mid sentence to look me up and down and complinent me. When she went back into her pitch, she kept looking at me and losing her place! Finally my buddy sez "get outta here so this lady came sell me a safe!"
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A day in the life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cop at the door urged me to moon the convention center, needless to say I declined.
    What the heck was that cop thinking....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    What the heck was that cop thinking....
    Nada!!!

MrBill
    Very Sir Lord MrBill the Essential of Happy Bottomshire
    Listen to kpcw.org

Every other Saturday 1-4 PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Sounds like you got a wonderful response. Any "what's under the kilt?" questions?

TheSp8 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IEScotsman View Post
    Any "what's under the kilt?" questions?
    Only one guy made the comment, "I bet people want to know what you wear under the kilt." I shook my head and said, "shoes and socks". He laughed and said good answer.

YMOS,
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    I went kilted to a show here in Houston a couple weeks ago. Had pretty much the same stuff, funny looks, general positive comments. I was almost disappointed that I didn't get to employ any snappy comebacks! My favorite incident was as I approched a friend who was looking at safes; when I came around the corner, the lady salesperson just stopped in mid sentence to look me up and down and complinent me. When she went back into her pitch, she kept looking at me and losing her place! Finally my buddy sez "get outta here so this lady came sell me a safe!"
    Maybee your buddy shoulda kept you around to distract the lady when it came time to talk prices

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent report; wearing the kilt confidently makes you a good ambasssador and it sounds like you may have recruited a few new kilt wearers while at your event.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memphis doesn't really have any gun shows any more. But I love wearing the kilt everywhere I go. If we get another one here, I'll have to go kilted!