X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box pleated kilt vendors?

Gents, ladies, etc.:

Salud! Does anyone know of other kiltmakers who offer a box pleated kilt? The only two I know of are our own O'Neille and of course Matt Newsome. I love my Newsome kilt, and an O'Neille is on order (and I'm only feeling good things about that kilt as well!). Being interested in other kilt makers is in no way a negative reflection on these gents---just as having R. L. Burnside in your music collection is no reflection on, say, Albert Collins. (Blues guitarists, the two of them.)

Best regards,

KC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stillwater will be offering his HW Leatherneck tartan in a box pleat to stripe , initially.

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few might be coming soon, well at least one very soon
    Especially after Barb's next edition of her book comes out, I have NO doubt there WILL be more.
    Matt learned from Bob Martin and Matt has helped a few home-kilters get going. I'm not sure who else Bob (or Matt) has taught. So far, Matt is THE box kilt maker extrodinaire.

(Sitting in my own home-made box pleat and several more to go),

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see some canvas box pleated kilt vendors. Or even PV box pleated kilts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kathy Lare of www.kathyskilts.com offers a military box pleat option.

Not to start any controversy, just to advise, apparently her box pleat is the the style she took special training for at the Keith Kilt School and may be a tad different than other kiltmakers.

Here's from her website about that:

"Returning to Scotland in May of 1999 she studied the unique crafting of the military box pleated kilt of the Scottish regiments and achieved an award in Traditional Handcraft Kilt Manufacturing. This professional development award paves the way towards becoming a Master Kiltmaker, which was almost a dying breed now in Scotland."

Kathy's a very genial lady and certainly happy to answer email or phone questions about her work.

And please folks, I'm only posting this as an option to the question asked, not to say her work is any better or worse than anyone else's.

Kathy has sewn up six kilts for me so far with one more on order. I highly reccomend her. And, like many other kiltmakers, when ordering a hand sewn kilt you only need make a half payment up front to acquire the material. The balance owed is paid when the kilt is complete and ready to ship. For me, that made addiction to hand sewn kilts easier.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that the military box pleat is much different from the standard box pleat that Matt uses. It's more like a knife pleat folded back on itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Kathy Lare of www.kathyskilts.com offers a military box pleat option.

...she took special training for at the Keith Kilt School and may be a tad different than other kiltmakers.
    FYI -

The military box pleat is, indeed, an entirely different pleating style than a regular box pleat. The line drawing below gives an indication of the difference. A military box pleat kilt is essentially knife-pleated, with the knife-edge turned back to show the vertical stripe. It produces a heavy and totally awesome kilt. It also requires a lot more work than a regular box pleat or a standard knife edge pleat.

I have a kilt length of Weathered MacLaren and my intention is to build it into a military box pleat kilt sometime this year.

"Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fractious, did you draw that? It's the first time I've seen that many different types of pleating all in the same post. Thanks! I really appreciate being able to see them all at once.
    If you add the Kinguisse and the reverse Kinguisse then I think it should be stickied.
    Good work.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A canvas duc double box pleat would be a tank. Oh my.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloves View Post
    Fractious, did you draw that? It's the first time I've seen that many different types of pleating all in the same post. Thanks! I really appreciate being able to see them all at once.
    If you add the Kinguisse and the reverse Kinguisse then I think it should be stickied.
    Good work.
    I must confess, I did not draw them. But I did lift the individual ones and put them into a single .jpg and relabeled them. The Kinguisses you mentioned are a combination, with knife pleats on each side and a box pleat in the center back. In fact, the inverted Kinguisse is what Utilikilts uses for their kilts.

As you can tell, this is way2fun!

w2f
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast