X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saffron (MOD shade) 13oz kilt (9yd)

Ok, I'm a little late in posting this as I've had my kilt since October, but better late than never. I LOVE this kilt! It's been years since I've had a made-to-measure kilt, so I might just be happy to have a kilt that fits me perfectly. The fabric is from Marton Mills in England and is just about the exact shade of MOD saffron, as worn by the Royal Irish Rangers, among others. It's got a slight nap to it, as compared with Lochcarron fabrics, but looks sharp and is extremely comfortable.

I wore it, a dark green waistcoat with Ulster Defence Regiment buttons, my marcella shirt and bowtie, and dark green mohair hose from shepherdswalks.co.uk (a bit pricey as hose go, but if you want the right knit pattern and colour for the regimental look, they're the only place to get them without having somebody hand knit them) to the local Burns Night. It earned me many, many compliments!

Now aside from the kilt itself, Kiltstore.net offered a good price, impeccable workmanship, and first class customer service.

Thank you Kiltstore.net!

Mark O - Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, where are the pictures? We need pictures.

I am seriously considering a saffron kilt myself after seeing CavScout's last Saturday. I would really like to see the overall outfit. I know it looks good with a black prince charlie.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should be able to put some pictures up this weekend (when I go to my girlfriend's house to collect them!).

I am a strict traditionalist, so I should offer this disclaimer, and I offer this just for tradition's sake and not to rub anybody the wrong way. The saffron kilt (MOD shade, anyway) in the British army, is the kilt worn by pipers in HM's regiments in Northern Ireland - not even the drummers in the regimental pipe bands are kilted. Unlike the tartan kilt which is worn and was historically worn by civilians, soldiers, pipers, drummers, etc., the saffron kilt was created especially for pipers. So, in my piperly opinion, the MOD shade saffron kilt should only be worn by pipers because it is a unique symbol of "piperdom." So why not choose one of the Irish county tartans or another solid colour instead, and leave us our only unique kilt?

My next order from kiltstore.net will be a dark green argyll and waistcoat. A saffron kilt with a black prince charlie? Man, I need to work on not being so persnickety...

Mark O - USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also mention that I understand that both pipers and drummers in the Republic of Ireland's defence forces wear a less brown shade of saffron, and I have seen male Irish stepdances wear a more yellowy saffron kilt before.

Mark O - USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 9yd Saffron, pic

This was taken at the back of St. Mary's Church (Anglican) just after the conclusion of the Patrick's Day church service!

http://www.stmaryaccakron.com/images/sp1lg.jpg

Mark O - Ohio

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice picture, thanks for posting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orangehaggis View Post
    I should be able to put some pictures up this weekend (when I go to my girlfriend's house to collect them!).

I am a strict traditionalist, so I should offer this disclaimer, and I offer this just for tradition's sake and not to rub anybody the wrong way. The saffron kilt (MOD shade, anyway) in the British army, is the kilt worn by pipers in HM's regiments in Northern Ireland - not even the drummers in the regimental pipe bands are kilted. Unlike the tartan kilt which is worn and was historically worn by civilians, soldiers, pipers, drummers, etc., the saffron kilt was created especially for pipers. So, in my piperly opinion, the MOD shade saffron kilt should only be worn by pipers because it is a unique symbol of "piperdom." So why not choose one of the Irish county tartans or another solid colour instead, and leave us our only unique kilt?

My next order from kiltstore.net will be a dark green argyll and waistcoat. A saffron kilt with a black prince charlie? Man, I need to work on not being so persnickety...

Mark O - USA
    Not to stir the tird. But, being as you yourself are not in any of those regiments: it could be as easily said that you should not wear it either. If you want to nit pick it: Then it was created for THOSE pipers... not ALL pipers. So, you could also just go pick a county tartan like the rest of the "common folk."

I'm really not trying to attack or anything. I just found the contradiction to be too much to not point out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, Bradley. Just offererd my opinion on the subject and as I said, I didn't mean to cause offence.

Mark O - Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast