X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally!!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally!!!

Hello to all from North Carolina!

Well, I finally went and did it. Ordered a kilt.

If you care to bear with me, I'll tell you about it. If not, well, you already know the best part.

Thursday took the GMC Safari into the shop for an oil and filter change and tire rotation. My son was off from school yesterday (Friday) and I took off from work. Set the alarm for an hour earlier than usual, went out into the cold and did the animal chores (chickens and goats). Then my wife, son, and I set off on a road trip!

Left from a little west of Chapel Hill, drove to Ashville to pick up my daughter (sophmore at UNC Ashville) and continued on to Franklin, NC. After driving 280 miles, we pulled up outside the Scottish Tartan Museum. Met with Matthew Newsome and some of the guys at the gift shop and museum.

Had a most positive experience. Everyone pleasant, knowledgable, never let it show how silly our questons probably were. {A Mr. Taylor showed us through the museum part (after he got back from his coffee break). I was especially interested in his discussion of how the Scots interfaced with the Cherokee in those parts.} Well worth having enough time to explore both the shop and museum - We spent a total of 3 hours there!

Yeah, Yeah, sure, sure. Get back to the kilt!

Anyway, here's the deal. Both my son and I were measured for and ordered one of Matt's 4yd box pleat kilts in the Watson Ancient tartan. 16oz Lochcarran Strome Range. My son Zac is having his pleated to stripe (yellow) and mine is being pleated to sett. Of course due to my girth and the need to have enough pleats, my 4yder will be more like a 5yder.

Then the ladies. They are getting below the knee kilted skirts with box pleats hand tailored by Matt to the sett. Again Watson Ancient tarton but this time in 10oz Lochcarron Reiver Range.

Picked up some hose, some traditional garter ties, a Buzz Kidder Rob Roy Sporran. Drooled over those fancy Nova Scotia sporrans they sell, the Black Knives, etc. etc. My wife picked up a Watson scarve (dtr. already had one). Son found a lapel pin with the Scottish flag on one side and the Confederate Battle flag on the other. All in all my pocket is considerably lighter.

So after being picked up off the floor after paying Matt, we headed home. Dropped the girl off back in Ashville. Total time spent from our door to our door 13.5 hours, and 560 miles. More animal chores. Quite the day. Well worth it I think. Everybody had a good time and learned a lot. Now the worst part begins, the waiting! Possible time frame? 12 weeks if I'm lucky.

Anyway, will let all know when they are finished. Hope to get some good pics. Thanks for reading.

Matt
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Congratulations on the kilt, 12 weeks should go by quick enough, just remember it will be worth the wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the family being kilted soon. I can't seem to wait that long thats why the USAK's are so appealing to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, man when you take the plunge you really take the plunge. When financesease can I suggest you get a less expensive kilt to ease the jonesing and for when doing chores? Welcome from Ontario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Matt didn't happen to be working on a Henderson, weathered boxpleat, now did he?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Matt - that is a great story! It's cool to see an entire family taking pride in their heritage. Congratulations to you all and since I have not yet said it, welcome to XMarks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! That is very similar to the visit my wife and I had a couple of weeks ago. Congrats on getting the whole family into it and we are sure looking forward to all of the pictures when this stuff comes in..... Mr. Newsome is quite busy these days.
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from southern California and congrats on your kilt!
    James

Templeton sept of Clan Boyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from North Texas!

Sounds like you and your family had a terrific road trip. Congrats on all the new duds you ordered. I'm sure . . that . . . the . . . . time . . . . . . will . . . . . . . pass . . . . . . . . . . quickly . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son Zac says "Thanks for the congrats!"

Matt
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast