X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamish's hat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamish's hat

In several pic from this past weekend, Hamish is wearing this hat (pic shamelessly stolen from Freelander)

I have seen similar ones sold on e-bay as either an Irish caubeen or a Scottish military balmoral. Regardless, I can't find one for sale anywhere other than e-bay that look anything like this (other products with the same names pop up here and there, but look different). Any help?

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe but am uncertain that The Hamish is attired in a balmoral from Glengarry Hats.

http://www.glengarryhats.com/balmoralhats.php

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glengarryhats.com offers two khaki/tan balmorals for sale.

It's not really an Irish caubeen, though; interesting that someone (not you, Adam) would label it that way.

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A caubeen does not have the toorie you see on Scottish bonnets. And the military khaki versions you are probably referring to are actually tam-o-shanters, i.e., they have the top sewn to the sides instead of having the entire bonnet in one piece. Ham's balmoral is all one piece. You can even see the grosgrain ribbon head band on Hamsh's bonnet. In addition, I don't think caubeens have a grosgrain headband either.

It may look a little like the military tam because you are seeing the black cockade under his bonnet badge. Some of the regiments used to wear their own tartan under the badge, some didn't. Now, I think, they all wear the government tartan under the new rampant lion badge.

I have sewn a whilte cockade on all my own balmoral bonnets "just 'cause" I think it looks very Scottish, not as any sort of political statement. (I am a citizen of the US, and I am not even entitled to an opinion of other countries' politics.)

Military tam's have no head band; it's wool only against your head.

I wear one of the tams just about all the time in the winter. I like the look of it, and the newer ones have a very small top. The tams from WW II and earlier were quite large, but the new ones are smaller than most berets.

Well, that's enough of that.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    A caubeen does not have the toorie you see on Scottish bonnets. And the military khaki versions you are probably referring to are actually tam-o-shanters, i.e., they have the top sewn to the sides instead of having the entire bonnet in one piece. Ham's balmoral is all one piece. You can even see the grosgrain ribbon head band on Hamsh's bonnet. In addition, I don't think caubeens have a grosgrain headband either.

It may look a little like the military tam because you are seeing the black cockade under his bonnet badge. Some of the regiments used to wear their own tartan under the badge, some didn't. Now, I think, they all wear the government tartan under the new rampant lion badge.

I have sewn a whilte cockade on all my own balmoral bonnets "just 'cause" I think it looks very Scottish, not as any sort of political statement. (I am a citizen of the US, and I am not even entitled to an opinion of other countries' politics.)

Military tam's have no head band; it's wool only against your head.

I wear one of the tams just about all the time in the winter. I like the look of it, and the newer ones have a very small top. The tams from WW II and earlier were quite large, but the new ones are smaller than most berets.

Well, that's enough of that.
    Well said, sir. You summed it up quite nicely.

T.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, Cajun.

BTW, Hamish looks quite dashing is his outfit and bonnet.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And nice to see the xMarks pin being used for the hat-badge!
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    glengarryhats.com offers two khaki/tan balmorals for sale.

It's not really an Irish caubeen, though; interesting that someone (not you, Adam) would label it that way.

Cheers,

Todd
    I't probably me not knowing exactly what the differences are (they all look more or less like berets to me). On E-bay, here's a tam http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8992&rd=1&rd=1
    Here's either a balmoral or a tam (and it looks like two pieces to me) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5999&rd=1&rd=1
    and here's what's being called a caubeen (also two pieces but no tourie - pom pom to Americans) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9772&rd=1&rd=1

Adam

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arrogcow View Post
    I't probably me not knowing exactly what the differences are (they all look more or less like berets to me). On E-bay, here's a tam http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8992&rd=1&rd=1
    Here's either a balmoral or a tam (and it looks like two pieces to me) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5999&rd=1&rd=1
    and here's what's being called a caubeen (also two pieces but no tourie - pom pom to Americans) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9772&rd=1&rd=1

Adam

The first two you reference are actually tam-o-shanters issued by the former military highland regiments which have lately been amalgamated into one super regiment. Note that both have the very top sewn onto the sides and that is sewn to the head band.

The second is indeed a coubeen, but also you can see that the top beret-like piece appears to be on single wool piece sewn to the headband. It kind of sticks up higher on the badge side that a bonnet or tam.

Go here to see proper balmoral bonnets as worn so sashingly by Hamish in the photo: http://www.glengarryhats.com/balmora...a2317v1o3vleb4

You can see how the top is one piece of wool sewn to a growgrain ribbon head band. On the back it another piece of ribbon which is traditionally tied in a bow.

Yeah, they're all kind of like berets, but there are subtle differences.
    Jim Killman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish looks every bit the Laird doesnt he! Sans the feathers of course.

Ham where did you find that wonderful walking stick?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast