X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post American Civil War Kilted Regiments Uniform?

I've been trying to do some research for a reenactment group I volunteer with. Thought this would be the place to ask.

We've found a number of Scottish and Irish immigrant military units during the American Civil war. Post Civil War many of these units broke apart or reformed into Westward heading Army units. This is the time period I'm looking for. We're wanting to make our clothing match as close as possible to some of the kilted regiments, but can't find a good written description or pictures would be even better of what the uniform looked like.

What I know so far:
    Most wore a Kilt of the their family, or regiment. Civil War 56th Infantry out of N.Y. wore Campbell.
    Many used Brittish Army or Boar War era off white pith helmets.
    U.S. Army brass buckle and wide set black leather belt
    Kilt Hose was Brittish army fashioned

What I can't find but have a vague description of:
    The Standard Issue Blue Wool Overcoat was modified to more closely resemble the Scottish Pipers Coat.

What does that mean? I want to find a better description than that.
    The goal is to have about 10-12 of them made.

Any help or place to guide me would be most appreciated. Thanks.

-Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mac -

Good luck! You might want to try the Center for Military History - if anyone knows about the history of the Army, it should be the Army historians...

www.army.mil/cmh/

John

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or consult the Company of Military Historians:

http://www.military-historians.org/

For example, I know that the CMH has a plate showing the post-war 69th New York Infantry's uniform from about the 1880's, and if I remember correctly, the old 79th New York did maintain some vestiges of their pre-war Highland uniform, but there is little documentation that I am aware of concerning the use of Highland "kit" in the American military, save the 79th.

Post Civil War many of these units broke apart or reformed into Westward heading Army units.
    Individuals who had served in state volunteer units did join the regular army for post-war service in the West, but since State militias could not be federalized (not until Congress passed the Dick Act in 1902), the only militia units on duty in the West were from Western states & territories.

Remember that the various state militias in the late 19th century adopted their own uniform regulations, and that many individual units -- the "chum and chowder societies" did as well, so you see all sorts of variations of kit, including the blancoed pith helmets (very popular in the regular army in the West as well), etc.

What sources have you found for some of the uniform "kit" you describe?

Now, there was a fraternal organization, the Order of Scottish Clans, that did wear Highland garb on a frequent basis, and of course, the several St. Andrew's/Caledonian Societies and pipe bands, but I can't say I have seen very much concrete evidence of a large number of kilted soldiers in the American militia. If you have a "smoking gun", I'm sure a lot of my fellow rangers and historians at Civil War historical sites would love to see it!

Regards,

Todd

Seasonal Park Ranger, Wilson's Creek National Battlefield, NPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2 gentleman that are members of the Scottish American Military Society, and have contacted a couple Civil War reenactment groups on the East coast. The account of the blue overcoat came from a diary of a confederate army medic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The accounts from Union scribes watching one of the major battles. Sorry don't have the name here, recorded an entire regiment of Irish immigrant confederate militia soldiers in kilt, and an entire Scottish immigrant Union kilted regiment going against each other.

Oh how I would love to see a painting of that encounter. I'll have to dig the full written account up. We had it at one of our meetings. Rather fascinating stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read this on another posting.
    http://www.americancivilwar.org.uk/n...egiment_16.htm
    The uniform in the picture is close to what is described for an officer post civil war.....hmmm I think I'll contact that Group and see where it leads me.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKiltClad View Post
    The accounts from Union scribes watching one of the major battles. Sorry don't have the name here, recorded an entire regiment of Irish immigrant confederate militia soldiers in kilt, and an entire Scottish immigrant Union kilted regiment going against each other.

Oh how I would love to see a painting of that encounter. I'll have to dig the full written account up. We had it at one of our meetings. Rather fascinating stuff.
    I find the claim of an entire Confederate regiment of Irish immigrants somewhat dubious, as the Irish Regiments of the British Army didn't begin wearing kilts until the end of the 19th century, and even then, it was mostly pipers, not the rank-and-file. (Harris, The Irish Regiments, 1683-1999)
    And remember, there is a lot of debate among historians about how much the 79th actually wore their kilts in the field.

If you the account handly, I'd love to have a copy. I'll be glad to some research at Wilson's Creek in our CW research library to verify it.

The drawing in the UK Round Table article, btw, is based on the plate from the Company of Military Historians, which is a very good source on the uniforms of the 79th.

You might also contact the State Historical Society of New York and the NY Adjutant General's Office to see if they have any information on post-war militia uniforms.

Before I had anything reproduced, though, I would gather as much documentation as I could.

Regards,

T.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 24th February 07 at 06:22 AM.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the web site for the NY State Military Museum:

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/mil-hist.htm

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try the editors of civil war times. i do remember reading articles on their clothing description for many of the irish and iron brigrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted Confederates

Quote Originally Posted by LordKiltClad View Post

I am very interested in hearing about the source of that story.

There was a thread here a few months ago you might want to search for on the subject of whether kilts were worn in the Civil War by troops on either side. As I recall the conclusion was that there were no kilted Confederate troops, and that the only kilted Union regiment never wore them into battle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast