X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Jackets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackets

I am planning on buying a tweed jacket/vest combo to go with my dress kilt, and was wondering about the color. I never was one for going full-out tuxedo, so I was considering getting a charcoal gray jacket, as opposed to a PC. My question is about the color, because:
    1) I am new to kilts, and so am not sure about matching colors
    2) I am male, which automatically diminishes my capacity to dress fashionably, and
    3) I am color blind, thus making me completely physically incapable of matching colors correctly.
    Having excused myself thus from the world of color-coordinated people, I would like to know if charcoal gray goes with pretty much any tartan/color. Thanks for the help.

Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tartan is your dress kilt? Grey goes nicely with most (not all) modern colours, but it doesn't fair so well with most hunting or ancient colours. It's that grey brown thing. If you need a jacket that will go with almost anything (but don't want it to dressy) try a Wallace jacket. It is black but it doesn't have all the embellishments of an Argyle. It also has a simpler cut and a cleaner look. I think this might be my next jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a grey kilt jacket, It goes with all of my kilts, but I agree with Chef It might not go with brown based kilt's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always live out the male stereotype and find yourself a nice loud polyester houndstooth jacket/vest (Kids, don't try this at home!) to wear with your kilt...

Or perhaps you could find someone whose fashion sense you trust to look at your kilts and make a color recommendation to you?

You can also describe your kilts/list your tartans here, and we can try to give you some help - but personally, I'd try for the second option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the Wallace jacket. I'll take a look. By the way, the tartan I have as my avatar is the one from my dress kilt.

Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukenm View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the Wallace jacket. I'll take a look. By the way, the tartan I have as my avatar is the one from my dress kilt.
    Looks similar to the colours in my Ancient Hunting Stewart of Appin; if it is, grey would be ok with it.