X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Son wants to play the pipes

He, like his ol man, (that would be me, for you crackpots out there) he loves knowing about his Scot ancestory. He told me today that he would like to play the pipes. I told him in due time, he would have to practice (he does a recorder well, you know a school thing). He said he's interested, but I'm trying to convey that it would take an everyday type of practice. Is there any pointers anyone could give me in having him start up?

Thanks,
    Chaplain Harris

Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Harris View Post
    He, like his ol man, (that would be me, for you crackpots out there) he loves knowing about his Scot ancestory. He told me today that he would like to play the pipes. I told him in due time, he would have to practice (he does a recorder well, you know a school thing). He said he's interested, but I'm trying to convey that it would take an everyday type of practice. Is there any pointers anyone could give me in having him start up?

Thanks,
    Chaplain Harris
    My son is also very interested in playing the pipes, he is seven. Luckily we have a small local pipe band that practices at our church. They have told him that he can learn the pipes from them. In return he must learn the drum first and then march with the band as a drummer while he learns the pipes. You might want to see if there is a local pipe band in your area that would consider the same deal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are both new and may not know the story of my son's journey to the pipes...

Briefly, when he was 5 he saw a pipe band playing in the 4th of July parade and told me "Daddy, I want to play the pipes." I did as you have done..insisted that he learn music with some other instrument first (he chose trombone, since we had one sitting around the house). He took private lessons, then made all-district in Middle School and then as a freshman in high school. All this time he never stopped talking about the pipes. It was obvious that his was a genuine passion, not a passing fancy.
    Christmas before last (when he was 15) I ordered him a practice chanter and arranged for lessons. He practiced 2 or 3 times each day. After two months his instructor said that he was progressing faster than anyone she had ever seen and was ready for pipes. The Visa whimpered a bit, but a set of Dunbars arrived one week later. About three months after that he was marching in the Fourth of July parade with the same pipe band that he had seen 10 years earlier. To say that I was one proud poppa would be the understatement of the century.

He is a member here, and I'm sure that he would be happy to correspond with you andor your boys via PM or email. He doesn't post here often, but does check the board nearly daily. His handle is "MadBagpiper".
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bagpipes have taken more time than any of the other 7 instruments I play. Thy require dedication, devotion, passion, and skill. It is a big step, but buying a wee one a chanter couldn't hurt, right?

Just be sure to get him a teacher. A book is alright, but having a real teacher is ALWAYS best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff! Thanks,
    C.B.H.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find this earlier, but but I think this is what solidified my sons desire. Even as a wee boy he liked the pipes and was fascinated by the bands he would see at highland events I took him to. At the local games when he was five he told me he wanted to learn to play. That day he also saw the pipe band that practices at our church so I told him he should tell the Pipe Major how much enjoyed listening to them and that he wanted to learn.

Well that is when they told him about becoming a drummer and then learning the pipes. Andrew thought that was a great idea. Then the Pipe Major asked my son if he wanted to march with them on their next set. Well not the shy one he said yes and spent the next hour an a half asking me what time it was every two minutes. When the time came he did march very proudly especially when he realised that everyone with a camera was taking his picture.

Yes he is the little guy with the very serious look on his face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Walsh in Antigonish, NS makes a child's size chanter for $72 CDN. http://www.johnwalshbagpipes.com/ This is a good option for young learners. A couple of my students used these chanters when they were younger/smaller. They have since moved onto full-length chanters.

Make sure you get him to a teacher. If a child that age can participate in an organised sport, they can take and absorb music lessons.
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now THAT is a very good pic! What a handsome guy, kilted and all!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Now THAT is a very good pic! What a handsome guy, kilted and all!
    Thanks, he took it very seriously and he was proud as can be (so was Dad by the way). Since he was only five I was sure he would shy away when the time actually came but he didn't think twice and just relished the attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 16 year old started about a year ago. I looked on the internet and found a band near us, City of Winchester Pipes and Drums and contacted them. They very gladly took him on and he has had a wonderful time. He already knew how to read music as he also plays the violin/bluegrass fiddle. We have now found him a private teacher to go along with the group practices offered by the Winchester band. I am constantly hearing what beautiful hands he has and how quickly he is learning. Apparently, the younger they start the better.
    He has had an offer from the county Rugby team to play at their matches. To say the least, he is in "hog heaven"!!
    Niblock64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast