Annual Sexiest Kilt Competition tries to keep the Celtic tradition alive in Orange County.
By Kelly Strodl

Scott Well returned home to Anaheim Hills this weekend from a trip to South America to confront a 1,000-acre blaze near his home. Despite the smoke and flames, Well, 52, strapped on some traditional Scottish garb and headed down to Newport Beach for the 5th annual Sexiest Kilt Competition held Sunday at Muldoon's Irish Pub and Celtic Bar.

The competition began around 2:30 p.m. inside the pub's courtyard. Onlookers packed the inside and outside of the restaurant waiting for the contest to begin. Although 15 men signed up, only 10 were brave enough to show, Muldoon's special activities director Richard Kaplan said.

The men entered and exited to the haunting sounds of Eric Rigler on the bagpipes. Playing the pipes since the age of 7, Rigler, a Los Angeles resident, has contributed to the soundtracks of a number of Hollywood blockbusters including, "Braveheart," "Cinderella Man," "Million Dollar Baby," and "Titanic."

This type of competition could only occur in America, Rigler said.

"There's a lightheartedness about it," he said. "It's a fashion statement. Hollywood just embraced it in the recent year."

Most contestants seemed more content in eliciting a laugh than a whistle, some performing a number of Scottish and Irish snubbing jokes while at the microphone, describing their attire.

Well was last year's champion, and was ready to win again. Down to the last detail, he came dressed for the occasion with accessories almost entirely purchased in his family's native land in Scotland, he said.

But not all of his outfit originated from across the Atlantic. A Celtic cross worn around his neck was purchased by Well at the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach. The rest represented not only his cultural heritage but his family origins.

"This is much more important," Well said. "This is a tradition and I have to keep the Scottish heritage alive," adding that family traditions get so easily lost even in one generation. He hoped to pass this down to his children as accurately as possible, he said.

To Well's disappointment, the title went to the Irish this year. Winner Don Regan, 72, a Balboa Peninsula resident, depicted the gentlemanly spirit of the occasion. Donned in suit jacket along with his high socks, Gillie Brogues (lace-up shoes with no tongue), and a sporran — a sort of man's purse, Regan took every moment he could spare to dance a jig in front of the three lady judges.

Asked what he thought helped him snag the title, Regan opened his coat and pointed to a miniature stuffed leprechaun sitting in his left jacket pocket.

"It had to be my good luck charm," Regan said.

Not all the contestants seemed concerned with keeping things traditional or family oriented.

Hailing from the eBay Clan — referencing the website where he bought the kilt — Charlie Currey, 42, drove down from Huntington Beach after receiving a phone call from a friend about the event. It was a last-minute decision, but Currey was prepared, never leaving home without his kilt, he said.

"I've missed this for the last five years in a row," Currey said. "It's a lifetime experience, I had to run with it."

Although reminded several times by the Muldoon's staff, Currey just could not seem to remember to keep his shirt on during the competition.

"We try to keep it interesting," said the pub's Kaplan.

"I love the concept of celebrating the apparel, trying to keep people in touch with the old and new of everything in Ireland. I am hoping it will become an Orange County tradition."

http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2...pt-kilts12.txt