X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edinburgh ("Auld Reekie") Pictures #7

Buildings right at the bottom of the Canongate where it opens out at Holyrood.

The front of the Scottish Parliament from the side looking towards Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat.

Front elevation of the Scottish Parliament.

The Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen's official residence in Scotland. It's open to visitors (even kilted and American ones...) except when the Queen is in residence which is about one week in the year.

One of the turreted wings of the Palace.

The front gate of the Palace, it was starting to rain so there is a slight smudge on the lens.

Andrew posing in front of a side gate to the Palace - I'm trying to include at least one kilted shot with every picture set! We suddenly noticed that he had lost his kilt pin which was sad.

These and other photos can also be seen at www.fotothing.co.uk/cleftref
    Last edited by McClef; 14th March 07 at 03:21 PM.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely pics yet again, Trefor, especially Holyrood Palace. It really is a shame though that Edinburgh has been blighted by that ugly monstrosity that passes for a parliament building.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks McClef wonderful pictures. I do agree with Alex on the parliment building though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    Lovely pics yet again, Trefor, especially Holyrood Palace. It really is a shame though that Edinburgh has been blighted by that ugly monstrosity that passes for a parliament building.
    That's for sure, great pics though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack this thread but, several months ago, my parents were trying to think of the name of the old power station on Prince's Street in Edinburgh. My dad thinks it might be Waverley. Does anyone know?
    I now return you to McClef's wonderful photo tour of Edinburgh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    And extremely expensive monstrosity! Original estimate was £50 Million, ended up costing £431 Million! That's a lot of dough! Public building projects over here too often end up as a bottomless pit!

Quote Originally Posted by ccga3359 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but, several months ago, my parents were trying to think of the name of the old power station on Prince's Street in Edinburgh. My dad thinks it might be Waverley. Does anyone know?
    I now return you to McClef's wonderful photo tour of Edinburgh.
    I'm afraid I don't know an answer to this one but I wouldn't have thought that Princes St would have been considered a suitable location for such an industrial building.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of a power station in Princes Street.
    There is a railway station at the east end of Princes Street, known as Edinburgh Waverley. Part of the station car park has recently been sold for redevelopment, during which a former gasworks dating from 1819 has been excavated. This station was originally the North British Railway's station.
    The Caledonian Railway also reached Edinburgh and their station was at the west end of Princes Street, just at the start of Lothian Road, and was known as Edinburgh Princes Street station. Following the merger of the railways, a new junction was put in further west, so that Caledonian trains could then run to the North British station and Princes Street station was closed in 1964. The old station building is now the Caledonian Hilton Hotel.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I somehow like the looks of the contrast between the old and new. However the attraction to the old is far stronger in my appreciation.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photos are great. Looks like someone left some canepoles at the Scottish Parliament building.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There never was a power station in Princes Street but there was a gasworks - http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=351382007. They just dug it up rcently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast