X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Nicoll Bros. under new management?

I recently bought a pair of bar and buckle patent leather ghillie brogues in yet another eBay auction selling not what was purported. They arrived today and are very disappointing. The finishing is poorly done with frayed leather and loose threads, the straps are permanently malformed from being buckled, both sets of buckles are grimy and need cleaning, and the leather lining on the inner soles is already coming loose. But the worst is that they are at least a size smaller than they are labelled, both on the box and inside the shoe itself, and therefore unwearable. However, on the box they are labelled Nicoll Brothers "Kilties." The inner sole lining is also labelled "Kilties" with Gaelic under it and a standing piper logo above it.

I have read here that Nicoll Brothers make fairly good sporrans, so was surprised that these brogues of such poor quality would be sold under their name. I googled for them and found that "nicoll-brothers.com expired on 11/19/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion."

Is Nicoll Brothers no more? Is this another case of a well-known name being bought by unscrupulous people who use it to sell shoddy merchandise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilmore View Post
    I have read here that Nicoll Brothers make fairly good sporrans,
    They MADE the best commercial (in contrast to bespoke artisan) sporrans but no longer.
    so was surprised that these brogues of such poor quality would be sold under their name.
    The shoes and other bits were from a different bit. Piob Mhor is still around.
    I don't know the shoes but one needs keep in mind that they are low priced shoes. I unfortunately don't know ANYONE making good quality ghillie brogues. The market is set on cheap shoes. Can't expect a good shoe for 45 GBP (not even 100). Good (but not excellent or even "really good") English shoes start at around 200 GBP--- and face it even good American made shoes (which where always a better bargain) are $300 USD and well beyond (Allen-Edmonds, Alden).
    The sporrans had prices starting at around 100 GBP. What could one expect in a shoe for under 50 GBP?

I googled for them and found that "nicoll-brothers.com expired on 11/19/2006 and is pending renewal or deletion."
    After 170 years they folded last Autumn. Margaret Morrison Ltd took over a bit of the sporran business but I don't know what we'll see.

Is Nicoll Brothers no more? Is this another case of a well-known name being bought by unscrupulous people who use it to sell shoddy merchandise?
    Margaret Morrison makes good sporrans.

Janet Eagleton is another maker in that corner and her stuff is really good--- at least as good as Nicoll Brothers even if I tend to have preferred the Bankfoot sporrans.

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they have buckles, they're not ghillie brogues, but buckle brogues.

As for the size, did you account for the difference between US and UK sizing?

Sorry about the quality. Sounds like you got hosed.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob C. View Post
    As for the size, did you account for the difference between US and UK sizing?
    That would make them larger. UK to US is around 1/2 to a full size difference and the widths are around 1 letter off.
    US to UK
    AA=A, A=B, B=C, C=D, D=E, E=F, EE=G, EEE=H.
    Its, of course, confusing since different makes use different lasts and sometimes a B on one last is like a C or an A on other. A 10 can be a 10 1/2 or even a 9 1/2 in the same system from another maker (or even the same company using other materials or on another last).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, of course I accounted for the difference in UK and US measurements, by one size. I wear a US 10 1/2 so ordered a UK size 9 1/2, but they are at least one size too small. As Nanook says, sizes seem to be inconsistent and all over the place these days, for both clothes and shoes.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are several shoes of "decent quality" out there, but theyre not cheap. Ghillies that WE sell are $120, although we can get higher quality ones at $160 and "regimental" ones (not sure what that means... it's in our order form) would retail at about $300.

Quality sporran makers... Margaret Morrison, Broadsword (if you can buy from a shop and NOT directly from them... we get the incorrect merchandise), L & M Highland, Gaelic Themes and Buzz Kidder (for less expensive quality ones).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question for Rocky, do you know where a person can get a pair in the WIDE sizes? Many years of playing soccer have given me duck feet.
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear of the demise of the Nicoll business. My first sporran was made by Nicoll and is still good after almost twenty years.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_4 View Post
    A question for Rocky, do you know where a person can get a pair in the WIDE sizes? Many years of playing soccer have given me duck feet.
    Wish I did... If you can find one LET ME KNOW. 1/2 of our brogue orders go a 1/2 to 1 ful size bigger b/c they're "wide footed". I'm always searching...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    There are several shoes of "decent quality" out there, but theyre not cheap. Ghillies that WE sell are $120, although we can get
    I know of NO "decent quality" shoes (save maybe running shoes and they are almost all made in China) for $120 USD.

higher quality ones at $160 and "regimental" ones (not sure what that means... it's in our order form) would retail at about $300.
    Who makes these "regimental" shoes? Are they available in widths, properly welted and use good quality (not the correct grain stuff) leather?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast