X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Lets break the record!!!

Most users ever online was 857, 03-16-2006 at 12:33 AM.

think we could beat it this year?

me thinks we can!!

lets pick a time tonight to have everyone get on Xmarks and beat the record for most online at one time!!

I know it sounds trivial....but it would show we're growing!

I just hope we dont shut it down accidentaly by overload

how about 21:30 MST? adjust accordingly for your time zone...... either that or pick a time we can all agree on and go from there....either way I'll be there!

Scott
    Irish diplomacy: is telling a man to go to he)) in such a way that he looks forward to the trip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always on, so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea, however, visits by search engines often amount for most of that number. For instance at the moment xmarks shows

"132 (38 members & 11 guests & 83 bots)"

as the "currently active users". The "bots" are search engine spiders. You can see more detail of which search engines cause this at the end of the "currently active users"

"Yahoo! Slurp (81), MSNBot (1), Google (1)"

That means that 83 of those 130 "users" are actually search engines. For comparison the TOTAL number of registered users visiting the xmarks today is a (still impressive) 279. The majority of the gap to the 857 peak number is likely to be accounted for by search engine traffic.

So, unless you have a way to influence the timing of spidering of search engines, then it will be very hard to coordinate a record attempt. Sorry!

KP

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedfirepiper View Post
    Most users ever online was 857, 03-16-2006 at 12:33 AM.

.................................................. ............................
    how about 21:30 MST? adjust accordingly for your time zone...... either that or pick a time we can all agree on and go from there....either way I'll be there!

Scott
    By my reckoning, Scott, that would be the middle of the night back here in Europe. I know I keep late hours, but not that late! Make it something like 9.00am your time and it will be mid-afternoon here - when we are all awake. I am not ignoring our friends in Australasia, but we will never get everyone to be up and about at the same instant, the wide world over!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    By my reckoning, Scott, that would be the middle of the night back here in Europe. I know I keep late hours, but not that late! Make it something like 9.00am your time and it will be mid-afternoon here - when we are all awake. I am not ignoring our friends in Australasia, but we will never get everyone to be up and about at the same instant, the wide world over!

well i figured it said 12:23 AM ...so alot of us must have had the preholiday "cant sleep" jitters ( you know ...kinda like the night before X-mas as a kid ?) and were on X-marks to discuss it ...oh well ...maybe next time

Scott
    Irish diplomacy: is telling a man to go to he)) in such a way that he looks forward to the trip!