X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box-pleated Tartan PV X-Kilt Hiking Hybrid!

How's that for a thread title?

I had originally started this thread in the "Contemporary" forum, but I guess it actually belongs here.

If you recall, Alan H challenged the membership to make a PV tartan box-pleat using the X-kilt instructions. Well, here goes my first attempt. I'm building this as a hiking kilt, so light weight and washability are essential. I also plan to use a new strap technique (well, it may not be new, but I've never seen one like it) that is designed for comfort underneath my backpack belt and is all-synthetic for worry-free washing and wear on the trail.

I ordered 2 meters of PV in Thompson Camel from Celtic Croft for this project. Here is the fabric after it arrived. I joked that I ordered it to match the dog and some folks thought I really did. Actually, I just liked the colors, but after seeing it I have to admit that it really does match the dog pretty well. I'll have plenty of fabric left over to make Fred here a matching collar and neckerchief.

After weeks of getting all the other projects out of the way I've finally gotten started. Here I am ironing in the edges of the box pleats. I'm an outlaw and make kilts without using any straight pins.

Here are all 14 pleats ironed in, ready for the waist-to-fell tapering. Total time for marking and pressing, about 1.5 hours. Each peat is 2" wide (sett is 6".......Measure the sett, divide by 3, that's how wide your pleats will be ) PV really presses well.

My wife commented that I'll look like I have a lawn chair strapped to my bum, but I really like the contrasting bands, and the black and white pattern fashing between the pleats when I walk should look pretty nifty.

That's all I had time for today. Tomorrow the sons and I will head over to Charlotte for the first Highland games of the season. Clan Donad is the honored clan, so we'll be there flying the colors! Next steps will be to machine-sew the box-pleats together along the tapers and then get the waistband and binding attached.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking good so far. I assume that fred is supervising this project. thanks for the pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna be interested in this one, since when I *FINALLY*...someday get around to making another X-Kilt, it will be for hiking.

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how it looks finished with the bands. I toyed with that look on mine but decided on a more 'traditional' look.

Here's a link to some photos.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...t=25030&page=3

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good so far.
    Enjoy the Highland Games and be sure to post some pics here.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your pleats

Do you plan to sew the edges of your pleats to make them permanent? If not, will the PV hold the pleats through washing?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back again. What a great day it was. The venue was small but well-attended. Excellent competition and all events close enough to the clan tents that you could watch from just about anywhere on the grounds.

Of course, my son MadBagpiper immediately fell in with the Jamestown Pipes and Drums and played with them all day, including the closing ceremonies.

I'm sorry I didn't get any shots of the younger son. He got overheated in the new MacDonald kilt I just rebuilt for him, so I changed him back into his shorts; he sat in the shade with the Clan Donald folks and sipped water for the rest of the afternoon.

Back home again, after dinner I worked on the kilt for a bit. Marked and stitched the tapers, made up the "deep pleats" at the apron edges, set up the over apron, and got ready to add the canvas, binding, and liner. Here she is just after I finished stitching the tapers. The fell hasn't been pressed yet, so please pardon the wrinkles. Still haven't used a single pin!

Heath, I'm not stitching the pleats as I would do with poly/cotton. My experience with PV is that it holds the creases pretty well even after washing. I always hand wash, even though they could go in the machine, so the pleats don't have to take too much of a beating.
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.

Dreadbelly is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the pattern in the back. That's amazing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dread...I'm liking them more as the finished product gets closer. Even my wife says they look good.

After another day of kilted adventure I sat down after dinner tonight to try to finish the kilt. As I type this I have just two more straps to add, so I'm taking a break to post a few more pics taken earlier this PM.

Here's the canvas which will take the strain of the straps. I opted for just a single 2.25" strip, and just basted it in along the top edge...the top edge binding will have two rows of stitching and that will cinch the canvas in place.

Here it is with the top edge binding stitched in place. Machine stitched (there are only at most 5 layers of fabric plus the one layer of canvas...even my old clunker Singer can get through that!) Still haven't used a pin! I even got fancy and made sure that the pattern matched up along the top of the over apron, just like a "real" kilt!

After finishing up the loose ends (apron edges, pressing in the big pleats, etc.) I'm ready for straps. Just two more straps to go. I think I'll make it before bedtime!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! great job! thats a nice looking kilt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast