X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bagpipes vs. tinwhistle and fingering techniques

For any bagpipers reading this, if you know some fingering techniques by practicing, or playing a tinwhistle, then should learning the bagpipes come pretty easy? Are the techniques pretty much the same for both instruments? And also, how many holes are on a bagpipe chanter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short answer:
    1) No.
    2) Not really.
    3) 8.

Longer answer:
    1-2) The tinwhistle only has 6 holes, and is a chromatic instrument; that is, it is possible to sharp and flat each of the notes on it. The pipe chanter has 7 fingerholes and a thumbhole, and is generally limited to nine notes. (It is possible to produce other notes that are more or less actual notes by means of cross (non standard) fingerings but is generally only done when one is trying to put a tune on the pipes that wasn't intended to go there.) Playing a tinwhistle is completely different from piping - which makes it odd that so many pipers also play whistles. The fingering techniques are completely different, even in so far as what part of the finger is used to close the holes. Tinwhistle players (except when playing large low-D whistles) generally use their fingertips to cover the holes; pipers use the first joint from the fingertip (most of the time.) Whistle players curve their fingers to play; pipers work at keeping theirs straight. Tinwhistle playing does not really translate to piping, which is not to say that things like reading music and figuring out timing and expression won't translate. Some whistle ornamentations look a bit like piping ornamentations, but in general they're quite different. Look at Richard Gross's whistle fingerings page and Dennis Havlena's pipe fingerings page and notice the differences.
    3) Eight.
    Last edited by haukehaien; 5th October 07 at 08:19 AM. Reason: tinwhistles are instruments, not musicians
    --Scott
    "MacDonald the piper stood up in the pulpit,
    He made the pipes skirl out the music divine."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your experience as far as fingerings, techniques, embellishments, ect. will not help you w/ the bagpipe. Completely different. There are 8 holes on the bagpipe chanter (incl. thumb).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said!
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys, I currrently don't have any pipes, or even a practice chanter for that matter, hmm, sounds like I may have a ways to go then. Is it true what they say about the College of Piping Tutor aka "Green Book" a good source to start with? Any experiences with that? I'll make sure to read those pages you posted haukehaien.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a "beginning piper:" GET A TUTOR! I know it may be difficult or inconvenient to do. But, it will be well worth it in the end. If nothing else, you need the tutor for feedback and to whack your pinky for coming up when it's not supposed to.

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres actually 12 holes on a pipe chanter ! 8 finger and thumb holes, one for the reed, a big one at the end and the 2 lateral ones at the end near the sound hole!

(Ducks) PEDANT!!

actually cross fingering is becoming more common on the pipes there are several tunes written for the pipes that use cross fingerings, but some pipers still frown on the use of them !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's my lucky day! I just found out about a pipe instructer in my area! He's only like 45 min away. I thought for sure I'd have to drive at least 2 hrs to find one. Whew. what a relief that is. he owns this: www.thescottishstore.com, and when I got there, he was in the back of his store working w/ another student, so he looks pretty reputable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the new tutor. After you have learned the scales, G, D, & E gracenotes, get the book "Rythmic Fingerwork". Trust me.