X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Hamish OK?

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Hamish OK?

Earthquake in SE England near Dover.

http://my.embarq.earthlink.net/artic...70428-19981888

Hope Hamish is OK.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The earthquake was felt in Kent, Hamish lives in Sussex so he should be OK
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEDEE View Post
    Earthquake in SE England near Dover.

http://my.embarq.earthlink.net/artic...70428-19981888

Hope Hamish is OK.

Brian
    Thank you so much for your concern, Brian, which is very much appreciated. Yes, I and those around me are just fine. Folkestone is the nearest town to Storrington that suffered damage and power failures, and that is just over 80 miles away, as the crow flies.

Trefor is quite correct: the damage was confined to a small area in the County of Kent - I am at the far end of the neighbouring County of Sussex.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it, Hamish.

Since we're on the subject, apparently in `03 Dumfries and Galloway experienced a magnitude 3.5 temblor. Robertson, living Dumfries at the time I presume, and being a past Southern California resident, probably appreciated the friendly jolt. Reminded him of "the auld country" as it were.

Personally, as a San Diegan, I try to schedule my morning tooth-brushing around the usual earth-rattlers as it facilitates the elimination of plaque.

In all seriousnosity (izzat a word? Is "izzat" a word?), my business is the issuance of building permits in Southern California, and seismic requirements are a significant part of that process. We have expended significant effort trying to help owners of legally built unreinforced masonry buildings (generally built over 60 years ago) in the unincorporated areas on how to bring their structures into compliance with current seismic requirements.

A short walk around the older (it's a relative term in this part of the world) core downtown areas of even small established villages with a semi-educated eye will point out the efforts many property owners have gone to to mitigate the damage that will eventually inevitably occur when the Pacific plate takes umbrage with the North American Plate (and/or the Gorda Plate, the Juan de Fuca Plate, the Rivera Plate, etc.). Essentially, building owners have had to build a metal reinforcement structure within the masonry structure to support it if it fails during a seismic event, thereby avoiding crushing its inhabitants with falling masonry debris.

In a changing world, one wonders if and when parts of the eastern U.S. and western Europe - all more vulnerable to seismic activity than is generally perceived - will adapt to the realities of seismic occurrences. The upshot being, it happens; not very often, but once is all it takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another earthquake?! Hope all is well.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...ae.php#details

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I live in Wisconsin.

oh poop, another tornado...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend in London felt the quake which shook his place and knocked some plaster loose.

Rob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the BBC we had the biggest earthquake for 25 years at 1 am this morning, epicentre was Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.

Few injuries, minor damage, felt in quite a few parts of the UK. 5.3 on the Richter scale.

I didn't feel it.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife felt it, apparently I slept through it. Just some short shaking in the flat.
    An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris.
    (When the smith gets wildly excited, 'tis best to agree with him.)

Kiltio Ergo Sum.
    I Kilt, therefore I am. -McClef

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drat - I stayed awake until 4 am today - my circadian rhythm has skipped a beat again, and never felt a thing.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast