X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong, but isn't Jori Chisolm out there?

Go to bagpipelessons.com and thank me later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    I could be wrong, but isn't Jori Chisolm out there?

Go to bagpipelessons.com and thank me later.

Jori is definitely out there, but what he's doing isn't geared for absolute beginners from what I've seen of it. His online lessons are mostly directed toward mid-level players who are looking to get better expression and rhythms in their piping.

He probably would help beginners using the web-based instruction, though.......

It can't hurt to ask.
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the good advice everyone!

And Daz, let me add my own (belated) Welcome Back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetcar View Post
    I'm seriously considering taking lessons, but there are several instructors in my area to choose from.

What should I look for in a good instructor? What should I expect to pay for lessons?

Also, how the HELL do I practice without waking the kids?

Seriously, how loud does the chanter get, and where do you folks practice?
    For instructors choose the one that is the most available and one who has more time on there hands.

When looking for a good instructor ask who many years they've been playing and what grade they are. The price all depends on how much they want.

If you have a practice chanter (refered to as a PC sometimes) then it really doesn't get that loud. if anything it has a soothing tone.
    Practice where ever and when ever you can. You can practice in a park, in your room on your porch, ANY WHERE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBagpiper View Post
    For instructors choose the one that is the most available and one who has more time on there hands.
    Most available? I would disagree. The most available tends to be the least in demand. Go to the one who is the most in demand as he will tend to have more and better experience as a teacher and will be able to deal with a greater range of problems/mistakes/issues than the less in-demand/less experienced instructor. Time playing does not equal quality. I know some pipers who have been on the instrument for 25 years who can't make it through Scotland the Brave without major issues, but people who have only played 5 who are much better pipers. It all depends on the person. Listen to the prospective teacher play. Ask the opinions of people who *do* play. Do the market research.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBagpiper View Post
    When looking for a good instructor ask who many years they've been playing and what grade they are. The price all depends on how much they want.
    I would disagree here as well. Asking what grade they are leaves out a heckuva a lot of very experienced instructors who either no longer or never competed. Some of the best pipers I know are *not* solo competitors, so would not be graded, or would not be graded highly.

I am not a solo competitor, hence having a solo competition level of grade 4, but I also play in grade 2 and grade 3 competition bands, as well as being pipe-major in a teaching band. Would I be excluded from the running or placed very low on your list based on your stated criteria?

Cost of lessons does not depend on how much they want. It, like anything else, is governed by market forces. It depends on how much people are willing to pay for the services rendered. It is easy to price oneself out of the market if you charge too highly for the service given.

Before selecting a teacher, do market research!
    The tradition continues!

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id also be very wary of the title "Pipe Major" its an honorary title, in civillian bands and its simply the piper that chooses the tunes and sets the tempo, admin is also a part of the PMs job, the pipe major doesnt have to be the best piper in the band, I could start my own pipe band (Dazs screaming reeds pipe band) lets call it, one member (myself) ill confer the title of Pipe Major on myself and use it on all my business cards ! and Im doing nothing wrong.

sounds silly?? well it happens more than youd think.

it sounds like we are being cynical but just be careful and speak to other pipers, dont worry about titles and grades etc. and to be honest once you mix with other pipers you will pick things up off them as well as your instructor which is why ive alwasy tried to get new pipers to join a band its fun and keeps you interested becasue of the social aspect- just avoid the politics
    good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daz makes a good point regarding the title of pipe-major. I'll also add that I am the main instructor for the aforesaid band, and was same long before being p-m.
    The tradition continues!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nothing to add about teachers, but I definitely think that you need to reconsider the "quiet...the kids are sleeping" rule. We turned up the music, ran the vacuum, everything that made noise when our kids were small and now they can sleep through anything. Training kids to only sleep in total quiet is not doing them any favors in the long term, IMHO.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the most important thing is to find an instructor that you are comfortable with! I looked around for a few months and talked with several instructors before I decided on my instructor. The student/instructor relationship is very important here. If your comfortable with the teaching style of instructor you tend to learn better and progress well. You don't want to be knocking heads with your instructor, you will not get anywhere with it and you will become really frustrated.

You will get little frustrated, we all do at some point with something that you just cant seem to get. But, you keep at it and with your instructors guidance and patience you will get it and off you go the next challenge. I am getting positive feedback from my instructor all the time, even though what we are working on might not be there yet he tells me the tone is going good or my fingerings on other embellishments are really progressing well, and that really helps keep you positively motivated.

As far as cost, you may want to check out area bands. Many offer tuition for free in return for serving some time with the band when you reach performance capability. Like some others said it depends on instructor. Might want to check with some student pipers in your area to see how their instructors charge.

Its not going to be a quick and easy thing. Then again some pick it up faster than others. It requires patience and time. My instructor drills it into me to go slow! You learn each embellishment correctly when you do. Believe me it works! The faster tempo will come.

I too have started carrying my PC in my car (and at work) when stopped somewhere it passes the time. Don't worry about funny looks, I recently got a thumbs up from a guy next to me in traffic and I noticed he was doing the same thing too.

My instructor surprised me last week by asking if I had started looking at pipes or thinking about it. That really got me motivated. I figured it would be a while longer before I was getting anywhere near thinking about looking. Guess he is liking my progress and just having me think down the road. But, it really excited me.

Good luck with it and I hope you stick to it!! It's a heck of a ride!!!!!
    Last edited by Warhoover; 22nd May 07 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i usually just practice the chanter by practicing the keys with my fingers not blowing into it, most the people in my house cant stand the noise it makes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast