X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Scouting Centennial

This year is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Scouting movement, and the Hiawathaland Council and the Peninsula Waters girl scout concil had a special council-wide camporee in celebration last this weekend at the U.P. State Fairgrounds. Cassie and I went for the day Saturday, there were all kinds of activities for cubs, scouts, scouters, and girlscouts. There were about 1000 people there.

All the troops were given a country with a Scout program to represent, and each troop had a booth. One troop had a large display with cards from 1968 showing the uniform of every country with scouts. Here's the Scottish card:

Here's my Lady Wife and I next to the firetower display in the Pocket Park

The Fairgrounds has a "Steam Village," with all kinds of shops and such. They weren't all open, but the sawmill was running, and the blacksmith's shop was open. The smith, who I had never met before, invited me in to work at the forge. I made a brooch, then the smith left to get lunch. A troop had just come up, so I kept working to show them how a blacksmith works and what he does, and a bit of the history. They were very interested. I ended up missing the Eagle Scout reception, but I was teaching so I think it was worth it. I can't seem to go anywhere without getting flithy.

No kilts here, but this is something from the opening ceremony. They had all scouters who had been involved 40 years or more come foreward. The man who had been involved the longest had been a scout for 74 years. This gentleman was the oldest scout in the district (the whole council, actually). He started with scouts in the 1930s, and is 103 years old! He's older than the Tin Lizzie he's sitting in!

A lot of people asked me about the kilt. Some of my old friends from scout camp teased a bit. What I thought was interesting was that the Cub and Boy Scouts seemed to take it more in stride than the Girl Scouts. One, about 11 or 12, came up behind me when I was looking at one of the world scouting booths and asked me something, I think it was about cookies. I turned and she just froze, and looked at me like I was from another planet. I don't think she was expecting the beard. There was a girl scout booth right next to where I was standing, and still staring at me she asked one of them if I was a Boy Scout. So I told her yes.

Another girl, around the same age, stopped dead in her tracks when she passed me when I was standing next to a fire ring. I said hello, she just stood and stared, then ran off. Very strange.

It was a good day. Lots of fun, lots of activities.
    An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris.
    (When the smith gets wildly excited, 'tis best to agree with him.)

Kiltio Ergo Sum.
    I Kilt, therefore I am. -McClef

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely pictures; sounds like a great celebration; and yes the Scottish scouts do still have the option of wearing kilts. They tend to all wear kilts while travelling to and from camp - Over the past two or three years I've seen a few kilted scout troops at Carlisle Railway Station.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all of the scouts I've ever seen were kilted.
    Looks like you had a great time and kudos to you for teaching!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an interesting programme on BBC4 last night about Baden Powell and the Scouting movement which showed some pictures of scouts in kilts.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 5 years as a scout. Great memories When my old scoutmaster, passes away he was still scoutmaster of the same troop. When I was in we all wore silver bars under our troop number - 25 years - same scoutmaster. When we buried him, the boys had gold bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good pics!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here's my Lady Wife and I next to the firetower display in the Pocket Park
    pardon the hijack:
    dude! where did you get that belt buckle? i love it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great weekend.

Furrycelt, I'm betting Nick made it. He does some very nice metal work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all,

Furrycelt, I did indeed make that buckle myself. If I can find a better picture of it I'll post it. I'm actually thinking about making another buckle. The belt and sporran strap were made by Tartan Hiker, and the belt has Chicago Screws so the buckle is easily changeable.
    An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris.
    (When the smith gets wildly excited, 'tis best to agree with him.)

Kiltio Ergo Sum.
    I Kilt, therefore I am. -McClef

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo yeah, do post some pics... how much would you charge for something like that?

i might have to get two; my dad would love one i'm sure.