X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Red View Post
    Hail, clansman! I, too, am a member of clan Donnachaidh (Reed sept). Unfortunately, I couldn't locate "The Clan Donnachaidh Has Arrived" either.

I do have a suggestion - send an e-mail to Bill Robertson ( billrobertson@donnachaidhinternational.com ), the Vice President of Donnachaidh International. Man, if the leaders of our clan can't tell you where to find our clan's official pipe music, then brother it ain't to be had!

Best o' luck! And if you locate it, please let me know; it'd be a fine addition to my collection of Scottish music.
    Howdy,

Mr. Robertson at CDI really seems like a nice guy. I haven't met him but have exchanged a number of emails with him in the past year or so. He said he didn't know either. I ended up getting the right info from Clan Centre and received "Struan Robertson's Rant", " Struan Robertson's Salute" and "The Blue Ribbon" by mail just today. All of which are clan tunes. There are many more but it would take going thru Scotland's National Archives to find them. That is if they're not lost to antiquity. I have a link for that somewhere.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchomatic View Post
    Howdy,

Mr. Robertson at CDI really seems like a nice guy. I haven't met him but have exchanged a number of emails with him in the past year or so. He said he didn't know either. I ended up getting the right info from Clan Centre and received "Struan Robertson's Rant", " Struan Robertson's Salute" and "The Blue Ribbon" by mail just today. All of which are clan tunes. There are many more but it would take going thru Scotland's National Archives to find them. That is if they're not lost to antiquity. I have a link for that somewhere.......
    Hey, that's great, Brent, that you kept after this. I'd thought this had come to a deadend. Sounds like they sent you sheet music. That's great for a couple of pipers like you & OldSoldier, but I'd like to find some recordings of these tunes.

Interesting that you're in Galveston. My Dad was born in Friendswood. He & his family got blown to the Phoenix area by the 1918 hurricane that hit the Galveston area. When I was working for USAA in San Antonio in the mid-80s we went & visited where the family homestead was & the family gravesites in the Friendswood cemetary. Small world.

Found the following information about "Struan Robertson's Rant."
    "STRUAN ROBERTSON('S RANT). AKA and see "Cockold come out of the Amrey." Scottish, Strathspey. E Minor (most versions): E Dorian (Bremner). Standard tuning. A good example of the form strathspey rant. John Glen (1891) finds the earliest appearance of the tune in print in either Stewart's 1761 collection or Robert Bremner's collection. "Struan Robertson" is known in Northumberland under the title "Cockold come out of the Amrey." One version also appears in the Gillespie Manuscript of Perth, 1768. Struan is a place name in Perthshire, a region known for its harpers in the 17th century. The Robertsons were Lairds of Lude in Perthshire. The widow of one of the lairds, John Robertson, himself having passed away in 1731, lived long enough to enthusiastically entertain Bonnie Prince Charlie at Lude in 1745, where he dallied to dance strathspeys and reels before campaigning in his unsuccessful bid for the throne. Lady Lude was said to have been so excited that she behaved "like a light giglet" and that she was "so elevated while she was about the Young Pretender that she looked like a person whose head had gone wrong."
    Happiness? I'd settle for being less annoyed!!!
    "I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused." - Declan MacManus
    Member of the Clan Donnachaidh Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchomatic View Post
    Old Soldier. Good evening. I belong to the Clan Donnachaidh Society and am also a piper. Over a month ago I requested from the Clan in Bruar some of our music and they started searching for me. One of which is one you're after. I received them today in the mail. I actually have 3 clan pieces as of today. They just came from our museum in Scotland's archives. I had seen your post while looking for a copy of Celtic Monthly talking about some of our Clan tunes. If you send me a message on the site here I can give you my email address offline. I'd be happy to forward you 3 beautiful pieces of music. Slainte'
    Can I get a copy too please?
    Know a couple years have past since you posted but if you do have it I would really appreciate it too.
    Robertson was on my great grandmothers side married in Springfield Massachusetts then travelling to New Zealand in 1911.
    I found my Robertson great great grandparents whom both are buried in Springfield too so have been learning pipes since I found them in 2006.
    Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Great Slainte' Clan Donnachaidh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I need to hear my Clans music as well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew Chalfoun shared his competition tune “Struan
    Robertson.” Andrew is an 11 year old piper from
    Maryland. He plays with the Guilford & Glencoe Juvenile
    Pipe Band. Fionn reminds us of the tradition in the Clan
    Donnachaidh that this tune was composed to commemorate
    the appearance of the Clan at the Battle of Bannockburn
    and that indeed the tune was also known as Teachd chlann
    Donnachaidh – The Coming of Clan Donnachie. Their
    arrival did in fact have a great influence on the course of
    the battle and Robert Bruce expressed his gratitude by
    desiring that the chief named his oldest son Robert.
    Following a further service to Royalty some generations
    later, the name Robertson was adopted by the clan.

http://www.geocities.com/pennpiob/news2008_January.pdf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123