X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attention, kilted amateur plumbers!

The sprayer hose on my kitchen sink sprung a leak, so I replaced it. Rather than go at it from underneath the sink, I disconnected the faucet and replaced it at sink level. Much easier for a guy with a lousy back.

But to make getting at the spigot that the sprayer attaches to easier, I turned off the water underneath the sink and disconnected the hot and cold water from their respective spigots attached to the faucet. That left me with no extra attached hoses to contend with.

I got the old sprayer hose disconnected with little trouble and the new sprayer went on like a dream. I reconnected the hot and cold water and turned the water back on under the sink. I heard a little bit of a whoosh and the hoses jumped a little. But when I turned on the faucet, I got bupkis.

I removed the screw-on screen that goes over the end of the faucet, thinking that maybe sediment had clogged it, but no water came out with the screen attached, either.

The water is not leaking under the sink.

Where's my water?
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any kind of check valve that shuts off the main spigot when you activate the sprayer? Does the sprayer work?

Mike

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing works. No water out of the faucet or the sprayer.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like the valve is not opening... you have one handle for hot and cold?

Checking the Diverter Valve

Uneven water flow, low pressure when the pressure at other faucets seems all right, or troublesome switching back and forth from spray head to sink spout can be caused by a malfunctioning diverter valve or by a restricted hose. To check the diverter valve:

Step 1: Remove spray head at coupling, and disconnect coupling from hose by prying off snap-ring retainer.

Step 2: Turn on water and let strong stream of water flow into hose. If strong stream of water flows out of open end of hose, then you know diverter valve is the source of the trouble. A weak stream flowing from open end of hose may indicate blockage in hose itself. Briefly running water full force may clear hose.

Step 3: If above steps don't locate problem, remove hose from spout attachment, stretch it out straight, and look through it while aiming it toward strong light source. If hose appears to be clear, problem lies in diverter valve. If hose is blocked, clear it with wire coat hanger or length of wire.

Step 4: As needed, replace hose. If you can't get exact replacement, adapters are available for connecting other types and sizes.

Servicing the Diverter Valve

Step 1: Remove sink spout by loosening screw on top, unscrewing threaded spout ring or nut, and lifting spout out of its socket to expose valve. Some valves are just set in place and can be lifted straight out by gripping them with pliers; others are secured by screw. If there is a screw, turn it enough to free valve. If possible, disassemble valve.

Step 2: Flush all parts with water, and clean all surfaces and apertures with toothpicks. Don't use metal tools, as they could damage the unit.

Step 3: Reassemble and reinstall valve, then test unit. If it still operates poorly, you will probably have to replace valve. Replacement must be exact, so take faucet manufacturer's name and unit model number or old valve with you when you buy new valve.

Whether it's a spray hose or a spout, your home's faucet system will need periodic repairs. But if you follow the steps we've outlined in this article, you'll be able to get these jobs done with minimal trouble.

this information came from ask.com
    Last edited by dfmacliam; 4th August 09 at 08:15 PM.
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeper83 View Post
    sounds like the valve is not opening... you have one handle for hot and cold?
    I do. Did I screw something up when I had the faucet disconnected from the back of the sink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ctrl+Z
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by george7 View Post
    Ctrl+Z

If only that worked with everything. My wife would use it all the time after my kids do their best imitation of four individual tazmanian devils on the house.

Regarding the plumbing issue ... I am of no assistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When all else fails, disconnect eveything, go back to the beginning and check the distructions!
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish i could help, plumbing is what i do for a living. Here in OZ things are made a little different.
    Only suggestions i have are to pull unit apart to how it was when you recieved it, look for any blanking plugs or caps on inlet or outlet to tap make sure you have correctly connected hot to hot and cold to cold, and as one other already stated if in doubt check the destructions. Good luck.
    Any photos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sprayer's toggle valve, up inside the faucet , is probably stuck. Sometimes I have to take the sprayer hose off the bottom of mine, with the water turned off, and poke a toothpick or something up in the faucet to work it loose. It's like a little plug that moves when the pressure balance changes; sometimes shower/tub faucets have them too.

We have really, really hard water and that's what causes mine to stick.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 5th August 09 at 03:22 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast