X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obuchiteck View Post
    My brother is in a Punk band and I was thinking about joining him. I would like to learn how to play the pipes but I have a couple of questions.
    A. I’m in grad school so I don’t have a lot of time, about 45min a week, to practice. Is that enough?
    B. Are Bagpipes hard to learn?
    C. What’s the average price range?
    D. About how many hours would it take to get the hang of things?
    Answers:
    A. Not really. I generally try to get in about an hour a day. Combined with a weekly 1.5 hour lesson, that works for me; YMMV.
    B. Yes. Learning the gracings and embellishments and where they fall in the tunes takes dedication, effort and time. People who skimp on these become crappy pipers.
    C. $600-1200. You may see cheap Asian-made pipes for less, often advertised as "student sets" or "perfect for beginners." These are generally, in fact, worse for beginners/students than a quality set from an established maker, as they will be out of tune (sometimes out of tune with themselves, so that they will never sound good), poorly made, leaky things. I bought a set of these when I was learning; I dearly wish I hadn't.
    D. Plan to take lessons for at least 6 months before being able to play pipes; and I should add that most of the students I've seen go onto the pipes in 6 months were high schoolers who were able to spend 2-3 hours a day practicing. For a grad student, it could very well be two years or more before you're ready to play. The pipes are not something you can pick up in a weekend ...
    --Scott
    "MacDonald the piper stood up in the pulpit,
    He made the pipes skirl out the music divine."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently (6 weeks ago) started my journey on the road to playing pipes. It takes a LOT of dedication. But, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to practice. I do alot of it while just watching TV.
    An instructor is the way to go. They can correct the little things that you wont pick up on. This isnt an instrument you'll be proficient at in a few months either. I've been told that you practice for a year, get on the pipes, and really arent any good until you've invested about 7 years. Now, this may be an exaggeration, but most folks wont start on the pipes until 6-8 months of instruction minimum. And, thats with dedication. It can be done sooner than that, depending on your level of commitment, and talent. MY instructor told me that, if I continue as I have been, I may be on them by october (personally, I think he's a bit optimistic, but, hey, he's the teacher). But, I practice at LEAST an hour a day straight, plus 10 minutes here & there throughout the day.
    Lastly, when you finally get on the pipes, its a whole new ballgame. You gotta learn to moderate the pressure in the bag, play the tune, and keep the drones in tune.
    I guess what I'm getting at is this; if you want to play, great! It will require alot from your end. But, alot of folks dont have the commitment, and burn out pretty quick, once they realize the time it takes to learn. My instructor tol me the most important thing to have to play is DESIRE. Without that, you'll quit before too long.
    If you decide to play, best of luck to you. If you're like me, it'll soon consume all your free time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've mentioned before that I purchased a Technopipe about 2 months ago. Certainly NOT the same as a real practice chanter but is convenient to practice in a lot of different places. I also practice on the train everyday (New Hampshire to Boston - so I have about an hour each way). Is amazing to see people's reactions when I tell them I'm practicing my scales on an electronic bagpipe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a person who gives up easily but I’m also a realist. With School, my Art, and playing the Harp I’ll probably just chill on the pipes for now. However I’ll most likely pick them up when I graduate, because they look like a blast to play and it would be a fun instrument to add to my family’s musical repertoire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you're going to start with a set of Highlands, Northumbrians, Ceilidhs, Uilleans or electronic... JUST START!!! You can take lessons for the fingering and STILL make your sound your own! The trick is to find something different to make you stand-out from the loads of pipers out there.

Everything is hard at first (unless you're a natural) and the pipes are no exception. HOWEVER... it's worth it to learn them. There's a good life to be had out there, and plenty of people that pay well to hear them played in a unique way!

GO FOR IT BROTHER!!!!!
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I haven't been here for awhile and happened to stumble across this topic. So I'll ask in this thread. Does anyone know where I can find sheet music to a tune called El Alamein? I've searched all over the net w/no luck. If anyone else here might know, whether it be from a book or somewhere else on the net I'd appreciate it.

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post on
    www.bobdunsire.com

they will know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pipes are a hard instrument to master i should ken am still trying.Average time afore ye touch the pipes 1-2yrs. Stick tae the chanter put in the time, git a tutor tae keep ye right, if ye cannae join a pipeband, git tutor 1 book fae the college of piping, Glasgow, it comes wi a cd that keeps ye right. When learning gracenotes and embelishments keep yer movements open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A. I’m in grad school so I don’t have a lot of time, about 45min a week, to practice. Is that enough?
    You can't possibly be serious.
    B. Are Bagpipes hard to learn?
    There was an article posted on the BBC a few years ago to the effect that the bagpipe was perhaps the hardest instrument of all to learn. Imagine carrying a greased watermelon under one arm, while patting your head with one hand and rubbing your belly with the other, while marching in cadence while doing long division in your head at the same time (and winking to the colleens as you march by).
    C. What’s the average price range?
    With about $1000 in your pocket you can start looking for a good used set.
    D. About how many hours would it take to get the hang of things?
    "To the making of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of seven years, one born to it will stand at the beginning of knowledge, and lending a fond ear to the drones, may have parlay with old folks of old affairs."
    Last edited by PiobBear; 8th September 07 at 09:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12