X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Well, at last, Kilt No.79 in my Kilt Kollection was delivered this morning. It is a 5yd casual cilt in the Welsh 'Edwards' tartan which I ordered when in Cardiff with Derek and Elaine back in May. The fabric is 100% wool but is very lightweight - my guess is 11oz although no weight is quoted - and it is randomly pleated, and not very sharply at that! It is machine sewn and is hemmed. To give the Wales Tartan Centre credit, they completed the order and despatched it after seven weeks - earlier than expected - BUT it was 2" too big at the waist!! Now, as brother Trefor knows, the Wales Tartan Centre seeks only two measurements for kiltmaking: waist and length! When I was being measured, I insisted that my seat figure also be noted down and that, I think, is where the error occurred - my seat measurement must have been taken for that of my waist!
    Sorry to hear about the error that occurred brother Hamish! Yes they do only use the two measurements but they do also ask for one's overall height which some kiltmakers like to know and some don't. All I can say is that the seat is fine on the 2 cilts I have had for them.

My Roberts is a 5 yard casual and pleats to the sett fine and the pleats are sharp but not deep, as you would expect for a 5 yarder. I understand that they use several different kiltmakers (not necessarily in Wales although the material is all woven in Wales) so perhaps it was luck of the draw or it could be that one proved easier to pleat than the other? Yes, I have to agree the material is light but I have worn mine in winter and still not found it cold though it would be useful to know what the actual weight is for comparison purposes. Certainly the 8 yarders are in a heavier material and pleat very well, I have my St David's as proof of that and have seen other 8 yarders from WTC including today at the Royal Welsh Show when I met the MD Tony Collins sporting an 8 yard Evans and his assistant sporting an 8 yard Pride of Wales. I have now ordered a ysgrepan (Mr Collins allowed me to try his on) and I liked it so it will be ready for collection from the stand on Wednesday. I can ask tomorrow what the comparative weights are as I'm curious myself on this point.

And I don't know if your ears were burning but I told Tony about my 20 kilts, a number he found amazing, and I had to mention you and your nearly 80 and that you had ordered the Edwards at the Cardiff shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    The fit of the kilt is now as perfect as it is going to be (with only two measurements) and it will be an adequate lightweight everyday kilt for a hot summer, if ever we get another one! What they actually did to make the adjustment I do not know, but it worked.

The staff at the WTC could not have been more helpful and courteous, and acted with speed when the mistake was spotted. However, the cilt is something of a disappointment both in the lightness of the fabric and the finish, when compared with the standards set by the many Scottish kiltmakers I have dealt with over the years.

Would I order another cilt from the WTC? Probably not - instead, I would have a known-to-me kiltmaker obtain the tartan and make it up for me.
    I wouldn't know what they do to make the adjustment either, I have mentioned before that Hector Russell totally messed up the waist on the first Hunting Robertson Ancient I had from them and they ended up having to make me a completely new kilt so mistakes can happen.

I have found customer services at WTC to be good too. (Still no response from Howie btw....)

But despite all, the pictures of you modelling the cilt are good
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A most excellent looking tartan Hamish.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh so many tartans, so little time!!

but you Hamish are making the most of it. I showed my wife and she said "Hamish is a bad influence on you", heck, I only have 21 kilts!

Lovely tartan, one I would love to wear. Maybe you should visit me and order a Tasmanian tartan kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the tartan alot. It really does look quite nice Hamish.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking tartan, Hamish, but as you say, the pleating does let it down a bit. Looks good as a casual though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice tartan Hamish. Sorry to hear that the kilt isn't 100% satisfactory, but you do have such high standards!

I have just ordered my 4th kilt (I'm such a long way behind you and others in this thread!), an 8 yard kilt in the campbell old weathered tartan.

Pictures to come............ in about 6 weeks!
    Warwickshire - Shakespeare's county.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice Tartan!! And you wear it very well!!
    HERMAN, Adventurer, BBQ guru, student of history

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I promised Hamish I asked Tony Collins re the weight when I revisited the stall today at the Royal Welsh Show.

He said that all the WTC cilts (all material woven at the Cambrian Woollen Mill, Llanwrtyd Wells) are made with 13 oz, or just a little over and the difference in weight is therefore down to the casual cilts being 5 yards as opposed to the full 8 yard cilt.

I wore my Roberts today and it held its own well and felt really good despite the unaccustomed heat

As I entered the ground someone from a TV camera crew shouted "hello Jock!"

(Despite a dragon on my cilt, another dragon on my sporran and dragon badges on my Balmoral!)

I calmly wished him "Bore Da." He carried on with "how ya doing Jock."

NO WAY was I going to speak to him in English

So as I swept past, I replied "Iawn diolch, dyma un cilt Cymraeg, dim Albaneg." (Fine thanks this is a Welsh cilt not Scottish).

Clearly more cilted missionary work is required in Wales!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ahhh so many tartans, so little time!!

but you Hamish are making the most of it. I showed my wife and she said "Hamish is a bad influence on you", heck, I only have 21 kilts!

Lovely tartan, one I would love to wear. Maybe you should visit me and order a Tasmanian tartan kilt?
    Maybe I should, Gray. Maybe I should. Perhaps next year (or the year after), when I have saved some more AirMiles!!

What! Leslie thinks I am a bad influence?! Huh! Perish the thought!

It is certainly a fine-looking tartan though:
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    As I promised Hamish I asked Tony Collins re the weight when I revisited the stall today at the Royal Welsh Show.

He said that all the WTC cilts (all material woven at the Cambrian Woollen Mill, Llanwrtyd Wells) are made with 13 oz, or just a little over and the difference in weight is therefore down to the casual cilts being 5 yards as opposed to the full 8 yard cilt.
    I am surprised, Trefor. Seriously. I was not thinking of it in terms of the weight of the entire kilt, but of the 'feel' between finger and thumb. It is a very soft fabric so maybe that has an effect too. I would have said 11oz, maybe 12oz but not 13oz+.

With regard to the 5yd thing: I measured mine this morning and found it to be just a few inches over 4yds! In truth, I would have thought that, with another 2½ feet of fabric, they could have deepend the pleats just a little more - particularly as it is pleated to neither stripe nor sett. Still, what is done, is done and I doubt I will order another cilt from WTC, at least not a 5 yarder!

I wore my Roberts today and it held its own well and felt really good despite the unaccustomed heat
    Yes, a very rare sunny and warm day today down here too. Unfortunately, I have been 'entombed' in Petworth House nearly all day and have been unable to enjoy the UV rays (upon which I thrive!!). Tomorrow, threatens to see a return to the rain!

As I entered the ground someone from a TV camera crew shouted "hello Jock!"

(Despite a dragon on my cilt, another dragon on my sporran and dragon badges on my Balmoral!)

I calmly wished him "Bore Da." He carried on with "how ya doing Jock."

NO WAY was I going to speak to him in English

So as I swept past, I replied "Iawn diolch, dyma un cilt Cymraeg, dim Albaneg." (Fine thanks this is a Welsh cilt not Scottish).

Clearly more cilted missionary work is required in Wales!
    You said it, my friend! So, we won't get to see you on TV then? Not after that!

By the way, Trefor, I am truly surprised that you have not heard from Howie. I have mentioned your 'Edinburgh experience' I think twice now. I am meeting up with him again this Saturday in London and will pass on your E-mail address one final time - I really do not think I can keep doing it without making matters worse!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast