X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to finally see something more than a swatch in the Edwards. One of my great-grandmothers was an Edwards and I've wanted to see it displayed ever since I found out there was a tartan out there. Couldn't have picked a better model - you do the family name proud Ham!

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macsim View Post
    Great to finally see something more than a swatch in the Edwards. One of my great-grandmothers was an Edwards and I've wanted to see it displayed ever since I found out there was a tartan out there. Couldn't have picked a better model - you do the family name proud Ham!
    Many thanks, Macsim. My maternal grandmother was an Edwards - that was why I chose this tartan.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Many thanks, Macsim. My maternal grandmother was an Edwards - that was why I chose this tartan.
    Ham, my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Edwards!

Perhaps I should consider a kilt in this tartan too!

Hmm, could we perchance be related? Let's see......the grey beard, the penchant for the kilt, the good looks........yes, it's all becoming clear!!
    Warwickshire - Shakespeare's county.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Ham, my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Edwards!

Perhaps I should consider a kilt in this tartan too!

Hmm, could we perchance be related? Let's see......the grey beard, the penchant for the kilt, the good looks........yes, it's all becoming clear!!
    COUSIN!!!!!!!!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group hug! I'm curious....this is a "Welsh" tartan but I have not been able to trace my family back to Europe yet. It gets difficult when you get back to a certain point in the tree and everyone seems to be named "Edward Edwards!" Several people in this thread have mentioned Edwards ancestry and I'm wondering if they are truly Welsh. Some names can go several ways and I've learned you can't always go by "sept lists" and "official tartans."

And yes Martin, I'd have to agree. Those Edwards folks are a dashing lot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty I really like it. #79 huh I'll never have that many

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised, Trefor. Seriously. I was not thinking of it in terms of the weight of the entire kilt, but of the 'feel' between finger and thumb. It is a very soft fabric so maybe that has an effect too. I would have said 11oz, maybe 12oz but not 13oz+.

With regard to the 5yd thing: I measured mine this morning and found it to be just a few inches over 4yds! In truth, I would have thought that, with another 2½ feet of fabric, they could have deepend the pleats just a little more - particularly as it is pleated to neither stripe nor sett. Still, what is done, is done and I doubt I will order another cilt from WTC, at least not a 5 yarder!
    I would agree that the "feeling" is different Hamish but I only have my 5 yard Roberts and 8 yard St David's for comparison purposes. Whereas the amount of fabric used can vary according to the measurements, that would sound less than it should, given that the casual cilts are advertised as 5 yarders on the site. I did notice that they offer cloth only by the metre in both 11 and 13 oz weights. I can only suggest that you contact Tony Collins and raise these concerns with him, I have always found him responsive and he appears genuinely concerned with customer satisfaction.

You said it, my friend! So, we won't get to see you on TV then? Not after that!
    Well they have one more day left to interview me properly. There are several camera crews wandering around so you never know! And tomorrow I am going to wear a Cymru Am Byth T Shirt!

By the way, Trefor, I am truly surprised that you have not heard from Howie. I have mentioned your 'Edinburgh experience' I think twice now. I am meeting up with him again this Saturday in London and will pass on your E-mail address one final time - I really do not think I can keep doing it without making matters worse!
    Thanks very much Hamish, perhaps it will be third time lucky!

Alas I wasn't able to wander round the showground today sporting the ysgrepan after all. The Cardiff shop had sent up a black one and I had ordered the brown. The guys on the stall phoned Tony Collins about it and the correct one is now going to be posted to me post free. Sounded like someone was going to get a talking to about that!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    ......................................I can only suggest that you contact Tony Collins and raise these concerns with him, I have always found him responsive and he appears genuinely concerned with customer satisfaction. ............................................
    That is a very good idea, Trefor. I already had a longish conversation with Steve, the Scottish salesman who measured me at the Castle Arcade, Cardiff branch about my experiences. He said he would pass on my comments, but it might be more effective coming from this horse's mouth!

Thank you for the suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macsim View Post
    Group hug! I'm curious....this is a "Welsh" tartan but I have not been able to trace my family back to Europe yet. It gets difficult when you get back to a certain point in the tree and everyone seems to be named "Edward Edwards!" Several people in this thread have mentioned Edwards ancestry and I'm wondering if they are truly Welsh. Some names can go several ways and I've learned you can't always go by "sept lists" and "official tartans."

And yes Martin, I'd have to agree. Those Edwards folks are a dashing lot!
    My Edwards line seems to be English, but I haven't been able to trace it completely yet. And, of course, many record keepers tend to think of Wales as just part of England anyway, so it COULD be Welsh. Who knows, I might be another VERY distant cousin.

Anyway, here's my Edwards cilt:
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a very good idea, Trefor. I already had a longish conversation with Steve, the Scottish salesman who measured me at the Castle Arcade, Cardiff branch about my experiences. He said he would pass on my comments, but it might be more effective coming from this horse's mouth!

Thank you for the suggestion.
    Something in writing is usually better than "I'll pass it on" and Tony is the Head Honcho The only thing I have actually bought in the Cardiff shop to date is a pair of black hose, everything else before the show has been done online and these orders appear to be processed for payment by Tony personally and he has also personally dealt with all my previous queries.

Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    My Edwards line seems to be English, but I haven't been able to trace it completely yet. And, of course, many record keepers tend to think of Wales as just part of England anyway, so it COULD be Welsh. Who knows, I might be another VERY distant cousin.
    With people moving around you can find Welsh surnames all over so tracing back can be difficult. The attitude of record keepers I cannot really comment on other than to point out that Wales was assimilated with England a lot earlier than Scotland was, but the Welsh Marches were a little more fluid in their borders over time and you will even find Welsh place names in parts of Herefordshire and Shropshire. The County of Monmouthshire is another case in point in that like Berwick Upon Tweed it was disputed and uncertain territory claimed by both countries and not completely and officially made part of Wales beyond doubt until the shire reforms of the 1970s and even now there are those who argue they were never consulted in a referendum as to which country they wished to be in! Trouble is what is now Monmouthshire has lost some of its original territory to "unitary authorities." Where I live was once part of that county also.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast