Well, at last, Kilt No.79 in my Kilt Kollection was delivered this morning. It is a 5yd casual cilt in the Welsh 'Edwards' tartan which I ordered when in Cardiff with Derek and Elaine back in May. The fabric is 100% wool but is very lightweight - my guess is 11oz although no weight is quoted - and it is randomly pleated, and not very sharply at that! It is machine sewn and is hemmed. To give the Wales Tartan Centre credit, they completed the order and despatched it after seven weeks - earlier than expected - BUT it was 2" too big at the waist!! Now, as brother Trefor knows, the Wales Tartan Centre seeks only two measurements for kiltmaking: waist and length! When I was being measured, I insisted that my seat figure also be noted down and that, I think, is where the error occurred - my seat measurement must have been taken for that of my waist!

Again, the WTC was very efficient in arranging to have the cilt collected from me and, only a few days later, called to check which days I would be at home to take delivery of it once more. They agreed to mail it under the 24hr guaranteed service (at their expense naturally) last Thursday. I waited in all day on Friday - no cilt - and again on Saturday - still no cilt. As I said, it was delivered today (Monday). I checked the tracking of the parcel yesterday and it was, indeed, mailed on Thursday so the delay is down to ParcelForce. The WTC is taking that matter further.

The fit of the kilt is now as perfect as it is going to be (with only two measurements) and it will be an adequate lightweight everyday kilt for a hot summer, if ever we get another one! What they actually did to make the adjustment I do not know, but it worked.

The staff at the WTC could not have been more helpful and courteous, and acted with speed when the mistake was spotted. However, the cilt is something of a disappointment both in the lightness of the fabric and the finish, when compared with the standards set by the many Scottish kiltmakers I have dealt with over the years.

Would I order another cilt from the WTC? Probably not - instead, I would have a known-to-me kiltmaker obtain the tartan and make it up for me.

Anyway. The photos. Please excuse the lack of co-ordination twixt cilt, shirt and hose - I wanted to snatch some quick shots without spending much time: