X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt No.79 - at last!

Well, at last, Kilt No.79 in my Kilt Kollection was delivered this morning. It is a 5yd casual cilt in the Welsh 'Edwards' tartan which I ordered when in Cardiff with Derek and Elaine back in May. The fabric is 100% wool but is very lightweight - my guess is 11oz although no weight is quoted - and it is randomly pleated, and not very sharply at that! It is machine sewn and is hemmed. To give the Wales Tartan Centre credit, they completed the order and despatched it after seven weeks - earlier than expected - BUT it was 2" too big at the waist!! Now, as brother Trefor knows, the Wales Tartan Centre seeks only two measurements for kiltmaking: waist and length! When I was being measured, I insisted that my seat figure also be noted down and that, I think, is where the error occurred - my seat measurement must have been taken for that of my waist!

Again, the WTC was very efficient in arranging to have the cilt collected from me and, only a few days later, called to check which days I would be at home to take delivery of it once more. They agreed to mail it under the 24hr guaranteed service (at their expense naturally) last Thursday. I waited in all day on Friday - no cilt - and again on Saturday - still no cilt. As I said, it was delivered today (Monday). I checked the tracking of the parcel yesterday and it was, indeed, mailed on Thursday so the delay is down to ParcelForce. The WTC is taking that matter further.

The fit of the kilt is now as perfect as it is going to be (with only two measurements) and it will be an adequate lightweight everyday kilt for a hot summer, if ever we get another one! What they actually did to make the adjustment I do not know, but it worked.

The staff at the WTC could not have been more helpful and courteous, and acted with speed when the mistake was spotted. However, the cilt is something of a disappointment both in the lightness of the fabric and the finish, when compared with the standards set by the many Scottish kiltmakers I have dealt with over the years.

Would I order another cilt from the WTC? Probably not - instead, I would have a known-to-me kiltmaker obtain the tartan and make it up for me.

Anyway. The photos. Please excuse the lack of co-ordination twixt cilt, shirt and hose - I wanted to snatch some quick shots without spending much time:

[B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see why you like the tartan.
    It's quite nice.

Can't say I like how they pleated it, but it still looks good over all.
    Mark Dockendorf
    Left on the Right Coast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's lovely Hamish. A good friend has Edwards on his family tree and recently got the family crest tattooed on his arm. He has said he will only go kilted if it was Edwards or Sutherland. I will have to show him these pictures. I don't mind the pleats, as it is a 5yard kilt.

Of course as always you look dapper and wear the kilt well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While your experience is not the greatest, that IS a very, very nice tartan...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered my Welsh cilt, in the Edwards tartan from Kiltstore. My mother's maiden name was Edwards.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely tartan Hamish!

I think this tartan (in a heavy weight) would look stunning pletted to the stripe done by Barb T.

If summer is not coming to you, then maybe you should go find summer somewhere

Cheers,

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really is a lovely tartan Hamish, even if the pleats live a bit to be desired I am sure you will find the occasion to wear number 79. Congratulations on the new kilt.

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pleating is unusual but looking at the sett on the apron, I'm not sure how else they could have pleated a 5yd kilt. Otherwise it certainly looks functional.

Congratulations on #79.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's a beautiful tartan, if nothing else.
    Enjoy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamish, I can see what you mean about the quality of the construction, but overall it looks very good! The colors are very good for you, I think, and the irregularity in the pleating does not distract at all. The pleats are not truly random; they just have a complicated pattern. Actually I rather like the pattern. I hope you will enjoy to wear it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast