X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacobite Movies?

I was wondering what GOOD Jacobite Scottish movies are out there.
    Tonight, I am in the mood to watch a good movie on the Jacobite rebellions. However, I realize I ONLY have 1-> "Rob Roy" (with Liam)
    So, What other ones are out there?
    I am thinking of exploring Amazon and IMDB and seeing what I can find. But, knowing the VAST knowledge of this forum, I thought I would rather get some advice here!

So, What are some good ones?

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define "Good"

For your consideration:

The Master of Ballantrae

Errol Flynn plays a loyal Scot named Jamie...

What more do you need in a movie*

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 24th July 07 at 06:44 PM. Reason: * Diana Rigg in a bikini, but besides that
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Brasilikilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard of one which I haven't seen called 'Chasing the deer' which from what I heard is quite good

If you can locate a copy, let me know.

I also know that there is a Disney version of Rob Roy from the 50's which is okay if you don't get hung up on historical authenticity.

If you're into documentaries there is a BBC series called "Battles of Britain" which has an episode about Culloden

Hope this helps

Iain
    Wear your kilt proudly, but carry a big stick

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most famous movies to feature the Jacobite Rebellion, or in this case the years after the '45 would be Kidnapped. While there are many versions, Disney's version in the 60's is entertaining, especially Peter Finch as Allen Breck.

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    One of the most famous movies to feature the Jacobite Rebellion, or in this case the years after the '45 would be Kidnapped. While there are many versions, Disney's version in the 60's is entertaining, especially Peter Finch as Allen Breck.

Todd
    After seeing a documentary about Disney's filming of the lemmings "suicide" in the 60's, I can't see them producing anything with any validity. Not that their movies aren't entertaining, I just don't trust anything they put on film as truth.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world...
    Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emolas View Post
    After seeing a documentary about Disney's filming of the lemmings "suicide" in the 60's, I can't see them producing anything with any validity. Not that their movies aren't entertaining, I just don't trust anything they put on film as truth.

Kidnapped is a work by Robert Louis Stevenson, a work of fiction. The movie isn't a carbon copy of the book (as most movies aren't), but it's pretty good. Stevenson based the story on the famous Appin Murder case, which is depicted in the story and its movie versions, but it's not a documentary.

btw, the Leprechauns in Darby O'Gill and the Little People weren't "real" either, but I won't hold that against Disney as some sort of conspiracy.

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emolas View Post
    ...and as we all know, all the other film companies work tirelessly to make sure the films they put out are accurate. What would Star Trek have been without all the research for fact......

Come on guys, if you want research and accuracy read a book. If you want big bang mindless entertainment go to a movie. If it's not flashy enough, they will make it flashy to sell the film. Yes, even documentaries.

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for something to "throw on" while wasting time or doing stuff around the house.

Yes, for accuracy, READ a HISTORY BOOK (from a decent publisher and WITH FOOTNOTES!) that tells what REALLY happened.

For entertainment, things are rather different. I am willing to give A LOT (though the Braveheart costumes are the limit).

The Flynn one mentioned above showed up today. The first 30 minutes or so (first third) is based on the '45 Jacobite Rebellion. I have it in now (and am converting it to a DVD). Entertaining, even if the kilts look to be tanks (out of correct period).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following up on the above posts on Robert Lois Steven's Kidnapped I recently rented a 1995 version produced by Francis Ford Coppola. Early this year PBS did a version of it, too, which I thought was quite good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacobite Movies

Mary, Queen of Scots is a very enjoyable film, starring Vanessa Redgrave as Queen Mary Stewart of Scotland who should have been Queen of England as well as France.
    There is also a brilliant performance by Glenda Jackson portraying her cousin Queen Elizabeth 1.
    The film is not entirely historically accurate but accurate enough. The main inaccuracy is the meeting of the 2 Queens, they never ever met in life, although in death they are only feet away from each other in Westminister Abbey in London.

Despite the fact that Elizabeth prevented Mary from being Queen of England, after the death of Elizabeth, it was Mary's son who succeeded her, bringing about the Union of the Crowns, paving the way for the Act of Union, a century later.

Altogether fascinating politics and religious intrigue, worth watching and reading about that time.

( Just got to add a piece of trivia - the Stewart Dynasty was the longest lasting dynasty in the world)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast