X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - I agree - as long as you have a sufficient number of pleats and a sufficient length of pleating so as to create the required shape without making the pleats look oddly splayed out, then I think you'll be able to make a kilt to fit, and fit well.

I'd still advise that you take a longer than you think you'll need piece of fabric and start to pleat in the middle, so you can try it on and see how the pleats lie before commiting yourself to a particular number of pleats with x amount of tapering.

Factors such as the flexibility or otherwise of the fabric can make a difference in how many pleats are required and how they will lie.

Even after making a fair few kilts for myself, I start to sew the pleats at the centre back and try it on when I get to about 16 or 18 to see how it is shaping up - you make me feel quite skinny now I have only to do 20 or 22 pleats under 1 inch wide.

I sew along the visible edges of the pleats with my machine to help to keep them neat, right from waist to edge, then if I need to make the kilt smaller I take out the hand sewing and re do it - some kilts have been remade four times, but I do not have to remeasure the pleats, just the reveals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try that start in the middle idea. It would help make sure I don't run out.

I'm not the biggest guy on here but also not the smallest either. I know it is gonna take 7 yrds plus to get what I need. I tried to explain once to a friend why it takes so much. If 2" of reveal take 10" of material, it gets eaten up fast. You think 8" for 1.5" will be enough for good depth or a solid 9-10"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well -pleats of 8 to 9 inches should give you a good weight but I think more than 4 inches of depth is rather lost and that it is better to do a greater number of smaller pleats to get more and easier movement. It might take a bit longer to make, but the result should be worth it.

I managed to get 8 yards of material into my black cotton kilt, but I think that I will make the other half of the fabric into a military box pleated version, as although the first one is great to wear and very sharp, it has less movement than I expected. I think there is a rule of diminishing returns at work.

The military box pleat might have rather too much unless carefully restrained, but it will be interesting to see the difference.

I know not everyone might be as entrance by the swing of the kilt as I am, but if kilt watching is ever to become a major spectator sport some basic rules should be laid down.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I think the plan is formed and soon as it done I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thank you, Pleater..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12