X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Missed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed

Hell-o All,

Just thought that I would like to say how much I appreciate the moderators here. I have just become a moderator on two forums, and didn't know how feisty people can get. One forum is only about 200 members and is pretty much on auto-pilot. The other is about 800 people and wow can the sparks fly.

So what am I trying to say here you may ask, THANK YOU to all the moderators here, I consider you all my friends, but the respect has just been magnified greatly.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll certainly second that!! THANK YOU mods!

TimC is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt! The mods are doing a great job of what must sometime feel like try to herd cats.

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're pretty lucky. We have great members, and we have Mike who has greatly reduced the level of spam that we have to trowel for. I have seen a few forums that are so over run with spam that you can barely make out the content. Those spammers are ruthless.

Freelander is usually fixing the monorail, Todd is looking up some subject in Xmarks the Scot's honourary Todd Wilkinson library,Jamie is working on his next story and checking in with the Mrs., Hank is counting all his money, Nelson is plugged into his iPod listening to the latest Celtic music release, I am pouring one and spouting off about Canada, and Mike is trying to find ways to spite people

Thanks Glen (and everyone else), I never realise how much work it was until Hank set me that little invite. Despite the odd headache, it's damn fun, and it's that much better because of the people here. Give yourselves and all the members here a hand first and foremost.

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your preferment Glen.

Forums do change a bit when you move to the other side of the table, don't they? I own two, am looking at lighting up a third, co-admin three others (one of which is phpBB ) and serve as a super mod on two more. So I get to see it all.

For the biggest part, the 900+ members here are pretty tame (touching wood) and we have few major problems as a result. We have Hank to thank for that, as he has established a set of rules he expects everyone to follow and that keeps a lot of the problems from ever happening. Sure, enforcement of those rules upsets people from time to time, but it is for the overall good of the forum and at the end of the day that is how it plays out.

But it always seems as if there is something to snag a few minutes of our time, here and there. I want to get back to work on the "How Do I..." tutorials, if I can ever find a couple spare moments. Hank has been working in the back room on a really wonderful enhancement to the forum, but he's trying to keep too many plates spinning too.

Just a few weeks back we had 250,000 posts. Within the next 24-36 hours, we should top 275,000. We regularly see days of 300-400 new posts and have even experienced a day when we logged over 500 new posts! This forum truly has become the largest kilt community on the Internet and we're going to keep working to make it grow even bigger. But as Colin said, all of you need to clap your hands for the other members, because without all of you, this forum would never have grown to this point.