X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    Meals should be 2/3 veggies, A piece of meat no bigger than a deck of cards and whatever else (IE rice or cous cous or mashed potatoes.)
    Use that idea even if you're making a stir fry or stew or anything like that.

It really worked for me and it was pretty easy to remember without too much faffing about.
    Another easy method is for each meal, your plate should have about 1/4 meat (or a meat substitute), 1/4 starch (bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.), and the other half non-starchy fruits and vegetables.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been said that confession is good for the soul. I suppose that sharing our concerns for our own welfare and those that we love is good also.

My last physical, the doctor "strongly" advised me to lose weight. My blood pressure is high, my bad cholesterol is high (but so is my good cholesterol), and I need to lose at least 40 lbs. It just happened that my wife's doctor told her to go on a restricted diet for health reasons other than weight lose.

For the last few months we have cut back on dining out, and that alone has made a big difference for us. When we cook at home we usually eat healthy -- lots of fresh veggies, fruit and chicken or fish. I lost 20 lbs. but my weight loss has stagnated. The one thing that I haven't done that the doctor told me to do is to get regular exercise. That has been the hard part. The afternoons/early evenings are SOOOO hot here right now that getting outside to walk is next to impossible. I have thought of joining a gym though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    during weight loss its normal to hit a plateau... all it'll take is a small change in what you're doing to drop again... that might be a change in the amount of carbs..or the type of cooking.. or even how often or the portion sizes.. if you ever look at a diabetic diet.. you eat a meal..a snack..a meal..a snack...a meal..and a snack..small meals with a snack in between to keep you from passing out... you don't get to a point that your body feels like it's starving..and if done with the right combo of foods, you'll lose weight...

if you're already doing something like that... then change it to where you eat snacks that are pretty much negative calories... celery is a good one... you burn more calories from chewing and digesting it than you get from the celery itself...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I get a laugh out of is that th first place my weight loss was noticeable was in my feet. All my recently obtained slip-on shoes and sandals are loose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall many good suggestions in this thread. The key thing is this: a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. It can't be for one week , one month, or one year. It must include both diet and exercise, and should include the occasional (but rare) splurge to maintain sanity. So many people want to take the easy way out and go for obesity surgery rather than exercise some self control.

For those of you who have accomplished weight loss or are working on your goal presently, congratulations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of this morning, I've dropped 18 pounds, and 4 inches off my middle. My new SWK really doesn't fit now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up skinny, then somewhere (beer??) I got fat...then began yo-yo dieting. Loose it, gain it back plus some...

Like Ham I live alone. I do belong to an on line men's Overeater's Anonymous group since there are no face-to-face meetings in town. That helps some as does reading the literature.

I went vegetarian and gained at least 30 pounds (M&Ms Peanut are vegie right?) Biggest problem for me now is my work hours. Come home from work at 9PM and eat and go to sleep...but I'm hungry at six so graze a bit from the vending machines at work.

And, sit for a living...but I used to be deep into weight training and long distance bicycling...30 years ago.

Too soon olde

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    ...M&Ms Peanut are vegie right...
    Yes, they are... So are french fries, and ice cream, and most candy, and potato chips...

And most candy contains no fat!

But, seriously, as a vegetarian, I treat nuts and beans as "meat." They are important to include in your diet, but just like meat, they should not make up the bulk of what you eat, or you'll have problems.

Chocolate has some significant health benefits too.

My priest likes to say, "All things are beneficial, and everything has its place."

Another good saying is "All things in moderation."

Most of us, especially us Americans, seem to have problems with moderation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did my weighing this morning. I'm down 30 pounds! All from eating less and only at meal times, cutting out snack food, sugar, and exercising (walking a couple miles 5-6 times a week).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats... I need to get more exercise... that'll help push me down a few more pounds..and now that my wife has decided that fresh made bread is better for us than store bought... it means a few more carbs added back into the diet...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast