X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

San Francisco, California or there abouts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calif Inland Empire Scottish Society

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to make sure our Southern California members saw it:

Scottish Society expands into new territory
    10:00 PM PDT on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

By MONIQUE H. HENDERSON
    Special to The Press-Enterprise

A kilted golf tournament, Scottish dances and a tea are among the events planned for the newly formed Scottish Society of the Inland Empire.

The group, which got its start in early March, now has about 125 members. Organizers plan to have at least six events each year. Members also periodically travel together to other Southern California Scottish events, including some held in Los Angeles and Vista.

Both people of Scottish descent and those with a strong interest in Scottish culture are welcome to join, according to the group's secretary, Bob Leeton.

(Bob Leeton and wife LaVonne Leeton get ready for a Scottish Society event by dressing in traditional attire. )

"There are certain places in the world that Americans have a strong attraction to," Leeton said. "Scotland is definitely one of them.

"It's a nation that has been friendly to Americans. They are a friendly people with a culture that many people seem to enjoy. Just about everyone has heard bagpipe music and had some exposure to Scottish culture in one way or another."

The group is sponsored in part by Blandford and Son's Scottish Imports store in Redlands. The store sells a variety of Scottish merchandise, including clothing. Information about the club has been spread primarily through the store and its patrons, Leeton said.

Some club members wear kilts and other traditional Scottish garb to meetings, but the clothing is not required, Leeton said.

Membership dues are $15 for adults or $25 for couples. A family membership of $30 also is available for those with children.

Call Leeton at 909-425-8427 for more information.
    Here's a link to the sponsor's store in Redlands http://www.blandfordimports.com

Best regards,

Jake
    [B]Less talk, more monkey![/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Scottish Society

Thanks for that post.
    We, at the Scottish Society of the Inland Empire encourage everyone to check out our Website. We have a lot of fun and welcome all new members.

www.iescots.com
    clans@iescots.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile IE Scots

I met one of your group at the Queen Mary. Sounds like a great group!

One of things that puzzles me about the United Scottish Society is they rarely have any social events. I went to their "big" annual general meeting but it was all business, no socializing.

I don't understand that group.

Scottish Games are about getting together with friends and family and I think your IE Scots group will provide a great deal of support to that goal. If only the USS would do so also. :-(

I'll sign up right away!

Thanks for starting the IE Scots.

Julie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was probably me if you were at our table in the Clans section at the Queen Mary. I agree, some societies don't have much in the way of events. Sometimes they are spending their energies on other things. SSIE are trying to get social and charitable events going as our main thing. I was recently appointed as a co-chair of the events commitee and we are really pushing to try to get something going at least once a month. Keep checking or website for updates. We have our Scottish Rebellion coming up on St. Patricks Day. You can now download our newsletter from our website. It is posted on the News and Links page in PDF.
    We look forward to seeing you when you join!
    Aaron Creighton