X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi from Arizona

Arizona, but my heart is in the highlands
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from Arizona

Hi from Arizona, everybody. I just found this site and I am excited about learning about how a proper kilt is worn and how it has evolved (if at all) down the ages.

I've always been curious about kilts and have just returned from a vacation (holiday for you UK'ers ) to Scotland where I got to see some countryside, some kilts and visit my ancestral holdings. This has increased my curiosity about kilts and also what the female counterpart to a kilt is. I saw several women wearing a pleated skirt (please, if its not called a "skirt" for women, I mean no disrespect. Please enlighten me) in thier chosen tartan. Has it always been thus? Is it also manually pleated as proper kilt is or does it have waistband sewn in?

In historical pictorials I have seen pictures of men wearing the kilt with an extra long piece worn over the shoulder. When and how is this worn? Have women ever worn it this way?

I am an aspiring fiction writer but truely believe one must write about what one knows. I am here to increase what I know for my writing and for my heritage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from southern California. We can be a rowdy bunch at times, but I'm sure you'll feel quite comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome from Prescott Valley. What area are you at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Seattle, WA.

That "piece" over the shoulder you are referring to is actually part of the great kilt.. which was what was worn before the "small" kilt (the kilt you see today) came along. The great kilt was typically 5 to 6 yards of tartan cloth, pleated on the ground, wrapped around the wearer, and secured with a belt. This page might help you understand what I am talking about. I have two great kilts but they are kind of a pain to pleat, so I don't wear them often.

From what I understand, there was an English blacksmith in the mid 1800's who got tired of the top portion of his kilt getting in his way, so he separated the tartan at the waist and wore the bottom portion.. this is how the modern kilt came into being. Am I right lads? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Sierra Vista, AZ. Update your whearabouts for kilt nights. O'Neille

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Heidelberg, Germany

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a native Phoenician & full-time kilt wearer (4 years)!

You've come to the right place for answers about kilts.

A frequent contributor to this forum, Matt Newsome, is the curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum & a kilt maker & would be one of many people on this forum who are very knowledgeable about the history & proper wearing of the kilt who I'm sure would be happy to answer your questions.

For a more local source of information, I can recommend Graeme Niven, the owner of Arizona Kilts near the Scottsdale Airport. Besides being the proprietor of a kilt store, he is a native of Aberdeen & has grown up with kilts.

If you don't mind, let us know where in Arizona you live. There's a bunch of kilted Zonies, especially here in The Valley, & we'd be happy to let you know when our next kilt night is.

Slainte mhath, Amigo!
    Happiness? I'd settle for being less annoyed!!!
    "I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused." - Declan MacManus
    Member of the Clan Donnachaidh Society

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome,from a very wet Inverness-shire.As to the tartan sash that women wear with their outfits-----goodness only knows!! I have been trying,unsuccessfully,to work all that out for over 50 years!Some areas in Scotland have the sash worn over the left/right shoulder depending on whether they are married/single/pregnant/the colonel of a Scottish regiment's wife -------its a nightmare!

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Edinburgh. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Scotland and hope you'll be back again soon. I'm sure you'll find all the answers you need here as there are plent posts about the great kilt. There isn't a female equivalent of the kilt as far as national dress goes except perhaps the long white dress with a tartan sash worn by ladies for formal dancing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite right Phil.I should have made it clear that I was talking about "evening wear".
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th August 07 at 02:50 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast