X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last thing, but this is entirely my own theory.

In general when I hit the weight room for this stuff I try to remember that EXPLOSIVE strength is more important that raw physical strength.

Also, balance and coordination are just as important as strength....That's no theory, that' plain fact, especially in the weights for distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great additions Alan, everyone.

What Alan said about balance is definitely true. Watch this video of the 56 lb WFD throwing my friend to the ground. That's right, the weight throws him, not the other way around.
    He actually hit the ground so hard he hit the trig with his arm, and made a nearly 12 inch cut on his arm. He has a nice scar from it.

Colin, thanks for fixing the vids, and I think it was Highland Tide who stuck this post. Thanks guys.

It'll be a little bit, but I'll add how I made my training implements sometime next week.
    Last edited by Colin; 20th September 07 at 08:34 AM. Reason: fixed video code

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    Colin, thanks for fixing the vids,
    not a problem. Truth be told I only learnt how to embedd the YT videos this week Have a read here to see the code http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25047

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    So you want to be an Athlete?

ah.... no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaish, thanks for this info! How often do you go through your training regimen and in what order?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bud,
    I try to practice every weekend, it usually works to every couple of weekends instead. Keep in mind this isn't for strength, this is for technique. Some of the stuff I can actually do in my own yard, mainly the WOB or the Stones.
    The WFD, Hammer, and Caber all require that I go to the park. I usually start with stones, getting a good rhythm going. Then I move on to the WFD, WOB, Hammer, and Caber last.

More often, I just do a few each time as otherwise I get too sore after basically running my own games.
    I also practice the WFD and WOB with a light weight, as the technique is basically the same and the lighter weight helps develop explosive speeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience wnet like this...

Stones came naturally. I mean, to get GOOD requires work, talent and strength. However, I threw discus in high school and did shot put as well, and it's basically the same as shot.

BIG THING...this is freakin' important. Do not, do NOT try to "throw" a 16 pound or 22 pound stone. This is NOT a softball. You must tuck the stone under your ear and get it so comfortable in your hand that you can forget about it. You are not "holding" the stone in there, it just sits there. Then, get your elbow up and out. It's got to be well away from your body so that when you push up and twist, the elbow and shoulder stay under..UNDER.. the weight of the stone. If you in any way attempt to throw a stone like a softball, you are asking for major shoulder damage...ruined rotator cuffs, and so on.

Anyhow, I know all that so I just went and did stones. I'm not very good at them, but thjey came naturally.

For some reason, hammer came naturally as well. I'm learning about extension (identical to discus throwing theory) and head placement and where to place the points of maximum torque in each swing. But for starters I just picked the thing up and whaled on it and it just went reasonably fine.

Weight over the bar was also fine. I think this is the event that is the most natural for most people. The two hints that we got from Tim's brother, Bill that really helped were...

1. don't spread your legs way apart. That lowers you a couple inches closer to the ground doesn't it? But you're trying to throw the thing UP.

2. dig deep in the last swing before the toss, and then "wipe your butt" with the weight as you accelerate it up in the toss. If you don't do that, you waste masses of energy swinging the weight out, not up.

Caber

For beginners, half the game is the pick. Honestly, I think you need to have someone who really knows this show you what to do, or see a good instructional video. Contrary to popular belief, you do not get your fingers under the caber and then just pick it up. It's really a "snatch and catch".

How to carry the caber while doing the run up is the next thing. Beginners tend to carry it too low, with their arms nearly straight down. NOT. You want it about navel level or even a little bit higher, with your elbows bent. Balancing that thing is achieved by locking it against your shoulder/neck and making slight adjustments in/out/sideways with your hands, but mostly by moving your whole torso around at the waist. Also, you're going to dance with the thing at first. If you have to walk around underneath it to keep yourself UNDER the caber, do it.

Caber is very much about timing and balance and sensing where the caber is. Being really strong sure doesn't hurt!

Weight for distance.

This is the most technically difficult event IMHO. Like I said, I threw discus for years and then worked out with an Olympic-level coach (I was incredibly lucky to get to spend two seasons with Mike, he coached at the community college I taught at). The 28 pound weight is a LOT heavier than a discus. I remember thinking that I was never going to get the hang of this thing, it was always throwing me around.

Get coaching. Timing and balance are everything. Nine times out of ten if I grunt and heave it, it goes five feet LESS than it I get the spins just right and rotate it out there.

Watch videos online....youtube has a mess of them... and get some help. I've been at this nonstop (except for the last couple of weeks) since February, once or twice a week and I still have a long way to go.

After 8 months of work..personal bests. These are average to pretty good for Class C novices here in California. Actually, my hammer throws are quite good. The others are all average.

42 pound WOB: 12 feet
    56 pound WOB: 9 feet
    16 pound hammer: 74 feet
    22 pound hammer: 62 feet
    28 pound WFD: 39' 11"
    42 pound WFD: 23' 8"
    56 pound WFD: 18 and change

BTW, there's a reason the 56 pound WFD is called the "widowmaker"! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, for you old guys, uh MATURE Gentlemen...I just turned 50, and my marks there will put me mid-pack here in Nor Cal in the 50+ Masters group. If I don't improve I will consistently take 3rd in most Games out of a field of 5-8.....aka, the geezers class!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last thing....I'm no expert at this. I'm an average Nor Cal class C Novice.

I'm in good overall health, and getting out on the field and having everybody gawk at me doesn't bother me at all. I have no major debilitating injuries...back problems or whatever. I'm a big guy...6'2", about 260 but I'm not all that strong in my upper body, for my size. I've got honking quads and calves, though.

I do OK. I don't blow anybody away, but I don't embarrass myself, either. In general, the guys are really supportive. We all shout for each other and if you beat me with a good throw today I'm the first guy in line to thump you on the back about it. That's just how it is, until you get to the uppermost levels, anyway.

So if you're curious about this, make some gear, get a little bit of help and just DO it. Just do it for one season, even. Nobody is getting famous here, we're just out for fun and to see what we can do.

Oh, and impress the chicks....gotta remember that part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! This is exactly what I have been looking for -- a tutorial on highland athletics. Very detailed and the YouTube links are a big help. Alan H, thanks for the link to make your own training gear.

Good work, Yaish and Alan H!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast