X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get started?

I live in the DFW area and am entertaining the idea of getting involved in Highland games. Where and how does one get started? What equipment is needed? What about training? Events? Any and all help would be welcome. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that DFW refers to Dallas-Fort Worth. If that is the case, Google "North Texas Heavies". This is an active group of highland athletes in Texas. They will be able to set you up with practice groups, equipment suggestions, and events in Texas. Also, I believe they are on Facebook - start there.

Good luck with it.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the "so you want to become an athlete" thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you get serious, I suggest you mull it over for a couple years, say you'll do it and then back out. The following season, get serious and publicly commit to competing but don't start practicing with a group until about a month before your first games. Then, you'll have that adrenalized, panicky feeling to carry you into your first event. That's what I'm doing--I'll let you know how well it works.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it would work better than the do the work in the gym to get seriously in shape, set up plans with a few local throwers, and then break your wrist 4 months before the season that I did. See you guys on the field next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    Before you get serious, I suggest you mull it over for a couple years, say you'll do it and then back out. The following season, get serious and publicly commit to competing but don't start practicing with a group until about a month before your first games. Then, you'll have that adrenalized, panicky feeling to carry you into your first event. That's what I'm doing--I'll let you know how well it works.
    Last edited by Geoff Withnell; 15th May 13 at 05:21 AM.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end, the answer is that you do it. To quote Nike.. "just do it".

Don't talk about how you're going to do it someday.
    Don't write on the internet about how you're thinking about it.
    Don't make an appointment to meet some throwers at practice and then discover that you're busy.

Do it.

You don't have to throw Pro level to do it. You don't have to squat 400 pounds. You don't have to have the perfect nutritional plan. You don't have to have the perfect training regime written up for you by the world champion. You don't have to have custom-made equipment welded up just for you.

You cobble some stuff together. You get some rocks. You figure out how to make some weights and hammers. Then you go throw them. If you can hook up with some other throwers, then you do that and if you can't, you can't. After a few weeks or maybe a month of that, you pay your money, go to a Games and throw.

Talk is cheap and writing on the internet is, in the end, bullsh**. If I had a dime for every guy who wrote on this board or contacted me via someone else saying they were "thinking" about throwing at the Games, I'd retire. The answer to the question is quite simple. YOU DO IT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what Alan said. Find a game, sign up and throw. You'll learn more at your first game than from any other activity.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. The only thing I'll possibly win is 'Most Spectacular Injury.' Sink or swim, I finally did as Alan suggested and am already registered for 1 (eventually 4) games. I'll have fun, screw up, and learn.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.