Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
. . .

Comments have been made about rubber soles on ghillies. I always had two pairs with me when attending unfamiliar venues, or when giving demonstrations on grass. One pair, those most used, had leather soles but occasionally a dance floor can be very slippery indeed - as can wet grass - and my second pair, with non-slip rubber soles, prevented many an embarrassing fall.

Enjoy!
The related consideration to the leather sole / rubber sole / slippery floor issue is the venue . . . for several years, the dance studio used by my home SCD class here in Dallas allowed us to put rosin on our shoes to deal with the sometimes-slippery wooden floor. On a couple of occasions when traveling to the San Francisco area, I attended a class in a venue where rosin was not allowed -- I had leather-soled shoes, and it was terrible . . . I was slipping all over the place.

The regular members of the class used the rubber-soled shoes, or added something to the soles. If I remember correctly, some of them got a standard silicone-based caulking compound and applied to the soles.