X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scottish Country Dancing Questions

Hi All
    I was fortunate enough to start Scottish Country Dancing on Monday. Let me say it was a wonderful time and if you haven't tried it get there and do it, it was a great night of fun and fast friendships with all who attended. I was wearing my Isle of Skye with Oatmeal hose and golf shirt, and the only shoes I had that I thought were suitable were my dress shoes, so here are my questions for those that have done this before.

It was slightly hot in the 8 yard 16 oz kilt, what weight do you wear, or do you strictly wear Poly-Viscose for class?

What type of shoe do you wear dancing?

I have been directed to go to the Hector Russell store here, to see what they have available as far as dancing ghillies go. I will be going there today, I do think however that I will be leaving with more that just a pair of shoes as Hector Russell does have some quality items that I have been coveting for quite some time.

Any and all help would be welcome, thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Hi All
    I was fortunate enough to start Scottish Country Dancing on Monday. Let me say it was a wonderful time and if you haven't tried it get there and do it, it was a great night of fun and fast friendships with all who attended. I was wearing my Isle of Skye with Oatmeal hose and golf shirt, and the only shoes I had that I thought were suitable were my dress shoes, so here are my questions for those that have done this before.

It was slightly hot in the 8 yard 16 oz kilt, what weight do you wear, or do you strictly wear Poly-Viscose for class?

What type of shoe do you wear dancing?

I have been directed to go to the Hector Russell store here, to see what they have available as far as dancing ghillies go. I will be going there today, I do think however that I will be leaving with more that just a pair of shoes as Hector Russell does have some quality items that I have been coveting for quite some time.

Any and all help would be welcome, thanks in advance.
    I wear a lighter weight wool kilt for dancing a 13oz. Also a pair of dance ghillies and am rather comfortable with that. A short sleeve cotton shirt too, that's about all you will need. well no a good memorie helps but usually the lasses will push and pull you in the right direction

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once Ann had eventually persuaded me to get a kilt for the SCD, my preference was always 13 oz kilts. Ironically after years of wearing trousers to SCD I was only able to go along kilted for two or three years before Ann had her stroke and we had to give it up.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diane helps to teach Scottish country dancing and is an avid dancer, so I'd advise you to email her for advice.
    She'll be able to point you to sources and such.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    Diane helps to teach Scottish country dancing and is an avid dancer, so I'd advise you to email her for advice.
    She'll be able to point you to sources and such.
    She has already talked to me about it Arlen, I will ask her some more as she has said she would help with anything I needed, and she is about 70% done with my hose, I can not wait for those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with any type of dancing (formal styles that is) any shoes that have a full leather sole are great, the more flexible the better. You want your feet to be able to slide or pivot without "catching", and with rubber or most composite soles you tend to hold too fast to the floor (which is exactly why those soles were made, so you do not slip!)
    Mark Dockendorf
    Left on the Right Coast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's about all you will need. well no a good memorie helps but usually the lasses will push and pull you in the right direction
    And Scotch! Lotsa Scotch! It's been helping white men to dance since the 1400s...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    And Scotch! Lotsa Scotch! It's been helping white men to dance since the 1400s...
    I just piced up a pair of Dancing Ghillies from Cairngorm Scottish imports, they were Hector Russell, well walked out with my shoes and an Argyle, and waistcoat, tartan shops are so dangerous, as for the scotch, I have not touched a drop in going on 15 yrs.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    as for the scotch, I have not touched a drop in going on 15 yrs.
    And this is a good thing?

No - seriously......... good for you!

Now there's more for me!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James MacMillan View Post
    And this is a good thing?

No - seriously......... good for you!

Now there's more for me!
    Thank you James, I am sure if I did not put the plug in the jug when I did, I would not be talking to you now, I would be in one of two places a jail or the ground, of this I am sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast