X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Friday night out downtown

Tonight was the last night of the year for the classic and custom car get together our little downtown sponsors every Friday, May through September. I knew it would be busy and that I’d probably get one or two comments.

I don’t even make it half a block when an older man standing in front of a shop asks if I’m wearing the kilt because I’m Irish. As I tell him I’m Scottish on my mother’s side, he grabs hold of the kilt. I almost thought I was going to get checked by this old man just doors from the Police substation. He finally let go. Have to say, it freaked me out a bit.

Made my way to my favorite pub and run into friends who have just acquired a car that’s parked across the street from where I was almost checked. I got a genuine compliment from one of the staff there. I let my friends get back to their car and I went to sit down at the bar for a pint and some quick food, when this woman grabs me and pulls on her shirt for me to read (“genetically predisposed to like bagpipes” or some such)…we exchanged pleasantries.

Barely seated a woman behind me leans in and whispers loudly enough to be heard by the rest of the folks at the bar, “real men wear kilts.” “Yes,” I replied. “Yes, we do.”

An hour later as I walk out of the bar to go see my friends’ car, I hear a shout, “Man, that kilt ROCKS!” I turn to see a young 20-something man with a friend. It’s high-fives all around. He has Irish ancestry, it turns out.

As I’m gushing over my friends’ 1932 maroon and cream Chevrolet, a young lady with her boyfriend stops and turns to me. “I just stopped because I see you’re wearing a kilt. I want to know if you’re wearing it properly.” I looked down at the kilt. Well, yes, I have it wrapped around my waist. I’d say I’m wearing it properly.” She giggles and off she goes with her smiling boyfriend.

Later, on my own, strolling down the sidewalk, I pass two women and hear one say to the other, “fall down on the ground and look up, I want to know the answer.” I’m not totally sure, but I think that was about me.

I did get one “Nice skirt, buddy” from a guy driving by in his 60-something convertible. Usually I ignore these comments, but this time I just turned my head and looked at him. He smiled and gave me a thumbs up. Just trying to see if he could rattle me, I guess.

Then I hear, “Hey mate, that’s a great kilt!” I turn around and realize I’m standing in front of the biker bar staring at a big mohawked guy in jeans. Stereotypes get the best of me and I’m sure I’m about to become part of the pavement. Then Mr. Mohawk grins and sticks out his hand to shake mine, “I got one, too!”

Overall, not a bad night out downtown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEah sound like a good night. it seems that we only get negative comments from speeding cars though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there's something about shouting out something to a kiltie and driving away real fast that defies logic.