X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11-ounce kilt question

Hello, All,

The Scotland Yard offers both 4-yard and 8-yard kilts in 11-ounce worsted. Does anyone own one, or have made a similar one? I am curious about how the 11-ounce works up and how they pleat them, etc. The description says "4-inch pleats" on both of them...I assume this is the depth of the pleat.

I'm not looking for a debate on weights necessary for a "proper" kilt...I am a fan of the heavier weights and for light weight usually go with P-V, I'm just seeking info on other's experiences with the 11-ounce wool in a kilt.

Thanks,
    Moosedog

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two kilts made in 11oz wool from Fraser and Kirkbright. One knife pleat, the other a box pleat. No problems (so far) with the knife pleat but I do have wind lifting problems with the box pleat. Be careful rounding corners in a strong breeze!!.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, Brian, thanks for the feedback. Might I ask: what is the rough yardage in your kilts? And the pleat depth? Did you use any special construction methods (e.g. more reinforcement at pleats) because of the lighter-weight fabric. Oops, I realize I am full of questions today...please answer only if convenient.
    Thanks,
    Moosedog
    Last edited by Moosedog; 8th October 07 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Realized F&K means self-made, so changed the pronouns

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Moosedog,

My very first hand sewn traditional kilt was an 11 ounce Macdonald Lord of the Isles Hunting from Lochcarron Mills sewn up by Kathy Lare of Kathy's Kilts www.kathyskilts.com

She told me that the 11oz is usually reserved for the lady dancers, but that it also made a good kilt. I've had it over two years and no problems.

No clue how many yards she used to sew it up for my massive girth, but the pleats are 2 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch of each pleat shows. If that makes sense.

Bottom line, 11 ounce is lighter than the heavier weights, but it still makes a great man's kilt and if you move your tail around it's gonna swing beautifully.

What pleats? The digital camera does struggle with a busy tartan...

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Great, Brian, thanks for the feedback. Might I ask: what is the rough yardage in your kilts? And the pleat depth? Did you use any special construction methods (e.g. more reinforcement at pleats) because of the lighter-weight fabric. Oops, I realize I am full of questions today...please answer only if convenient.
    Thanks,
    Moosedog
    Bear in mind I have a 46"waist at the navel. I bought 6meters of double wide cloth, used virtually all in the knife pleat and about 5 meters for the box pleat. Machine sewed both kilts. Knife pleat has 3/4 in reveal and 2in pleats - 26 pleats in all. Box pleat has 11 pleats - ea 2 3/4 in. both kilts have deep reverse pleats on the apron side and 8 in fold over on the fringe side to provide more weight.

Hope this helps.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few kilts that are made from 11oz. material. The are all 8 yard traditional wool kilts. They do have a good swing and are very comfortable. I would be very careful in very strong winds.
    Mark Keeney

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - I have 19 kilts now, and one on order, but I never have completely grasped the concept of cloth weights.

How do you determine the weight of the cloth?

Is there some wierd formula? Or do you cut a square meter, foot, or yard and actually weigh it?

I have PV's in two weights. I think of them as haevy and light. I have wools in the same - heavy and light.

So I really don't know if I have 11 oz, 16 oz, 44 oz or what?

Could somebody de-mystify the process?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 8 yd. traditional from the KiltStore.net in 11 oz. Forde tartan. I love it! Comfortable in warm or cold weather, and the swing and look of any other 8 yd. kilt. Pleat depth is not dependent upon fabric weight, but overall yardage, sett, etc....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the weight of the cloth is ounces to one yard of the cloth as woven - so the width of the cloth would have to be taken into account.

Although we buy all fabrics in metres, I would assume it is weight per yard if it is given in ounces.

If the weight is given in grams then I would assume that it is the weight of a metre. It is not usual to mix the two systems.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly its ounces per square yard, which eliminates the width worry.

Me, I just learn the "hand" (how it feels) of each weight. Its obviously pretty tough to tell the difference between a 14 oz and a 16 oz but easy between an 11 oz and a 16 oz.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast