X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Stuff!

I thought you guys might enjoy this. It was sent to me this morning by a colleague at the Scottish Tartans Authority who wanted to make a point to our local Trading Standards about the perils of non-authentic kilts. So he went along to a branch of one of the Heritage of Scotland / Gold Brothers' infamous emporia and bought one of their so-called "Kilt"s. (Okay, it's a kids' one to keep the costs down as he was paying it himself, but surely that just makes it worse!).

He says it took 20 seconds to go from contact with a flame to the result on the right. I hope whoever stands near a candle or careless mate's lighter while wearing one of these can work straps fast!

Note too the weasel-worded labelling, aiming to give a cheap import the illusion of authentic Scottishness without technically falling foul of the law. "Designed in Scotland". Ho-ho.

Sorry if I seem to be knocking a competitor. But seriously, making millions by shamelessly selling life-threatening crap to adults, let alone to kids, utterly disgusts me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this Nick, yet another reason to educate yourself on the state of the tartan industry in todays market. Unfortunately the city council in Edinburgh has done nothing to stop the tartan tat that seems to be consuming the Royal Mile, and until the proliferation of these types of shops is at least curbed than I see that there is little to be done about the situation.

Personally I have noticed that kilt wearers generally fall into two distinct camps, those that don't mind spending their hard earned money on quality products, and those that will spend only if it is the cheapest thing they can find. More often than not this means that they are dealing with a vendor who sells an Acrylic "kilt" as the real thing.

I would like to think of myself in the former category not the later, as I realize that kilt making is indeed an art and the garments produced by these talented people are really a labor of love. With the kind of time that goes into kilt making there are few getting rich from the proceeds. I say support your local kilt maker, not your local tat producer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with anyone selling the cheap kilts. For some folks, that's the only way they'll ever have a kilt of any kind.

I DO have a problem with someone trying to pass off one of these cheap kilts as a traditional tailored wool kilt. That's false advertising in my eyes.

That's an interesting demonstration with the fire though.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I knew the answer to the "tartan tat" problem in general and the "tartan tat" being sold in the Royal Mile in particular.I am a rare visitor to the Royal Mile these days and the last time I went ,last April,with some Australian friends I was ashamed to be there.I will not hurry back there.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th October 07 at 07:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread on fire?

A very interesting and educating subject--kilt flammability. I'll remember to avoid any campfires or bonfires whilst in my SWK standard.

I understand the point but respectfully disagree. There IS a place for affordable kilts made of non-wool fabric for those of us who do not have the means or inclination to wear all wool all the time. Yes, those upper end kilts are carefully hand crafted and indeed a work of art. But to say that those are the only "true kilts" is not fair. Many people have been introduced to kilts by trying affordable acrylic kilts and work their way up to an all wool "tank."
    No doubt there is an uneducated segment of the public who doesn't understand the difference in quality, only in price. I myself was in that group until discovering XMarks and finally got educated

There is room for those kilts, but I agree with davedove that they shouldn't be marketed as the same, but rather a good product to explore kilts and wearing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was an advertising major for one semester, and then switched. People are quick to pigeon-hole lawyers as lairs and cheats, but in my opinion, the advertising industry is a million times worse.
    Last edited by beloitpiper; 11th October 07 at 03:22 PM. Reason: misspelled "worse"

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh what a waste! The sacrilege! The carnage! A burning kilt!

But, I'm really wondering here. Wool is a natural fiber, and it burns too!

My point is both fabrics have their place and uses. As has been said, without the synthetics, some people would never be able to become kilted. In my closet I now have 1/2 synthetic, 1/4 wool blend and 1/4 wool. Each fabric is good looking! Each fabric has it's individual feel or hand. I choose which fabric I am going to wear that day by the activity of the day.

For instance, when I leave tomorrow on my trip, I will be taking four synthetics and two wools. The synthetics will generally be for day wear and the wools generally for evening. (make that five synthetic and 2 wool - I forgot the one that I will be wearing)

I should also say that I have always known, up front, what I was buying!

I would be interested in seeing a demonstration of the different fabics burning, side by side. But -

- - -Please, don't burn up any more kilts!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James MacMillan View Post
    Wool is a natural fiber, and it burns too!
    Yes, wool is a natural fiber and does burn. But it doesn't catch fire and flare up like acrylic.

My mother used to be a nurse in a burn unit and she told horror stories of people wearing man-made fabric which had, not only flared up, but melted onto the skin. Whereas cotton and wool actually provide some modest protection from fire.
    Last edited by McFarkus; 11th October 07 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Deleted one of the parentheses from the quote in error

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the USS Stark incident taught us anything, it taught us that all kinds of fabric burn. Not, perhaps, with the vehemence displayed by the Gold Brothers' acrylic fabric (which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is a different fabric from that used by Stillwater), but they will burn. And, as I've said elsewhere, most of us don't stand near open flames in our daily lives.

I don't appreciate McMurdo's polarization of the kilt community, and the way he's worded it seems calculated to start arguments. I, for one, have acrylic kilts, wool kilts, polyviscose kilts, and cotton canvas kilts. I, for one, have hand- and machine-sewn kilts. I, for one, have paid as little as $30 for a kilt, and as much as $500. I, for one, think there's room in the kilt industry for all kinds of kilts, and in the community for all kinds of kilties.

I also believe in truth in advertising, and in being aware of what you buy. Lads, stay away from open flame in your acrylic kilts. Stay away from the hot exhaust of motorcycles and other vehicles. Other than that, wear your kilts, show your kilted pride, and have a nice day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt had (has) that same label on it. It was an imported import. My next kilt is a Rocky special. There is a sign in his shop that says something about value will beat cheap any day. Rocky knows this, that is why he put up the sign. It was the last thing I saw wwhen I left hios shop and I believe it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast