X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practice Chanter - Pipers please help.

Ok, I just got a call from the wife at work. Apparently her boss (a Campbell) is interested in learning the bagpipes, but the only practice chanters he could find in Calgary are out of his price range; apparently around $150. So since she knows I read this forum she figured I could ask around here.

So pipers, recommend some decent, reasonably priced practice chanters to me please. Links to anything purchasable over the internet would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    William Grant
    Stand Fast Craigellachie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, there!
    Gibson and Dunbar are both good choices...he should be able to find them at any reputable shop. They will probably range from 70-85 dollars, but sense they are "delrin/polypenco", they are nearly indestructable!
    His best bet, though, would be to get a teacher first, as teachers often want you to have a specific kind of PC.
    Good luck to him!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alas unable to help in a Canadian context. Got mine in Bagpipes Galore in Edinburgh for what would have been close to CAD $200!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded on Dunbar ... they make a nice PC and are in Canada, so it shouldn't be an issue to get them shipped. Their website has the long PCs for $84 CAD.
    --Scott
    "MacDonald the piper stood up in the pulpit,
    He made the pipes skirl out the music divine."

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Dunbar as well - well made, good tone, and fairly tolerant of different reads. DO NOT get the short version, buy the long or millenium model. The long models have the holes much closer to the spacing on a regular bagpipe chanter.

Brian.

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pipesndrumsnun View Post
    Hey, there!
    Gibson and Dunbar are both good choices...he should be able to find them at any reputable shop. They will probably range from 70-85 dollars, but sense they are "delrin/polypenco", they are nearly indestructable!
    His best bet, though, would be to get a teacher first, as teachers often want you to have a specific kind of PC.
    Good luck to him!
    Good advice! He shouldn't have to spend any more than that. I would add the McCallum to the list as well, and second the advice that he should make sure he gets a long PC.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a McCallum, but more importantly I'd say that you should get Gibson practice chanter reed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunbar "Long" Practice Chanter. No doubt in my mind. These things are indestructable and have nice countersunk holes that mimic the spacing of the holes on the pipe chanter. I'd strongly advise against any of the cheap wooden practice chanters that are available. No need to reopen a "Pakistani Pipes" thread, but I think your friend will be better served in the long run with the Dunbar.

I've included a link to a supplier I have used with good result to show you what I'm talking about. You may be able to find tem cheaper elsewhere, though.

http://www.toneczar.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=130

Cordially,
    David

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out www.thecarolinacelt.com

They have a nice selection of practice chanters, 34 in fact.

They carry those manufacturers the other posts mention, and Duncan Souter Bagpipes. My son has one of his long practice chanters and likes it very much.

Matt
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunbar Chanter.... is the one I have and is very nice. I would strongly suggest that he find a teacher 1st. The teacher can recommend a chanter, and would know where to get one from. ( I have had 3 different practice chanters- one was a cheap one.. the second was a Shepard- It was stolen when my car was stolen).

Best of Luck!
    on the one hand
    I am a [B]perfectly ordinary[/B] human being
    on the other
    I am a [B]kilt-wearing karaoke king[/B]
    with a passion for kiwis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast