X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you need some practice equipment?

I promised a little how-to on making practice equipment for a while now, and finally had the opportunity. During a recent practice one of my weights broke it's chain, so here is a step-by-step as I put it back together.

First, you'll need to get yourself some chain. You can buy any chain you like, in whatever length gives you the desired weight. Personally I went with a 30' tow chain, which weighs in right around 20 lbs. That's a great weight for the hammer and by adding two of them it works for WFD or WOB. I like practicing with slightly lighter weights so I can do it longer with less chance of injury.

So, select your chain.

Next, lay your chain out in small back and forth loops, approximately six inches in length. It doesn't have to be precise but you want the smallest, tightest bundle possible when it's all over.

Now, take a smaller type of chain that fits through the links and begin threading. Make sure you use a welded link on all chains, not merely twisted.

Complete the threading through the top links until you get to the end, then place a quick link that is large enough so it wont fit through the main chains links.

When that is done, pull the chain down to the very tightest bundle you can get. You should have a lot of your 'threading' chain left over, don't worry about that. Remember, we need a tight bundle. Secure the bundle by putting the other end through the quick link and closing it down.

Now that you have a weight, you can use it to make your other implements.

For the hammer, use a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe cut down to less than 50 inches. Use about a 6" piece of 1" EMT conduit to act as a sleeve, and drill a hole through both pipes. Insert an eye bolt and wing nut a few inches from the end of the handle.
    With the weight attached, the handle should be no longer than 50" total, so you'll need to do a final cut when it's all assembled.

For the WOB and WFD, a simple D ring handle will suffice.

Add a large quick link so you can attach weights and you're done.

Add weights as needed until you get to the desired weight for your implement.

One of the best things about the chains is that they do not tear up the ground when the implement lands. Park Rangers have found that aspect very nice indeed, and it has kept us out of a lot of trouble. Invariably whenever you start tossing heavy weights around the local parks department wants to make sure everything is good to go. We've actually gotten most of them to stick around and take a few practice throws.

Have fun, and if you have questions ask away. If you've created your own gear I'd love to see pictures and hear how you made them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say, between the "so you wanna be a highland athlete" thread and this one, I'm rather tempted to give it a shot. I was feelin a bit undersized in the weight category. Then thanksgiving struck

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaish - does the word torture actually mean anything to you? If not, I could point you to here? But beyond that, please tell me again - you do this why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, but it's such a fun time. You're only sore for a week or so after the competitions, not so bad.

KiltedWonder, give it a shot. Start yourself off with a couple river rocks, one around 16lbs and another around 22lbs. Go for nicely rounded 'loaf' shaped ones. The price is right (free usually) so it's a good place to start.

For those interested in cost, each 30' section of chain was running me about $35.00, assorted hardware, PVC, EMT, and a D handle cost me an additional $30.00 total.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting sick of the big galvanized "O" that I use for a handle on my WFD. those handles like you've got there cost about ten bucks on the 'net and should be a LOT more comfortable. Think I'll get one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problems with those handles is they tend to turn in your grasp, which can make you lose your grip more easily. I see this as a training opportunity as it forces me to hold tight when dealing with the heavier weights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of making my practice equipment but I don't know where to find one of those handles...could you kindly point me in the right direction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine at Play-it-again sports, but you can probably find them at Big 5 or other places that sell weight sets. It's just a common D-ring handle for cable weight machines. If your Walmart has a big sporting goods section they might even have them there. I paid about $10.00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread I have already start putting together some equipment but the chain idea is fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met Arizona Scot out on Monday and he had made all the above gear as Yaish had explained. He did a great job. ArizonaScot has been practicing for about 3 weeks now, and I went out to join him. I had a BLAST throwing the stuff around. I look forward to practing some more and hopefully competing in next year's games in Phoenix.

Thank you Yaish for all your help with the new athletes, it's greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast