X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst. Kilt. Ever.

We spend a lot of time talking about our favorite kilts and all those wonderful kilts we want. Now let's see the flip side of the coin.

What is the worst kilt you've ever owned?

[fine print] In order to keep this fair and interesting, let's not include homemade failures. And it must be one you had in your possession at some point. So no matter how much you loathe the UK spartan, don't knock it till you've tried it. [/fine print]

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That one is easy for me to answer...... My MacMillan tank. I just don't like the colors, and only wear it for family gatherings, and less and less, even for that.

If you are talking about workmanship....... a mail-order Fraser that must have been put together with rotten thread, as it kept coming apart. I was almost happy when it go caught in a car door and ripped beyound salvage.

There may be other different criteria, but those two jump to the fore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An arcylic kilt (vendor's name withhold to be considerate) I bought a few years ago. It didn't have a fell sewn in, it didn't have a reverse pleat with the underapron, it was uncomfortable, I couldn't stand the material, and the hang was horrid. To top it off I could have gotten a kilt in the same material, but with way better construction from another, now very well known vendor, for a fraction of the cost.

Not a bad kilt, just not what I look for in a kilt.
    Last edited by Colin; 4th December 07 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is easy. An acrylic monstrosity in the Gordon tartan, pleated to the stripe, no less, but with virtually no taper to it. Made by "Scottish Tartan Designs." Got it on eBay brand new for about $40. I've never worn this thing out of the house. To call this kilt ugly is to flatter it.
    I've kilt for less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to chime in here with my complaint of an acrylic kilt. The apron was too narrow, the elastic was just...weird, the leather straps were cheap. I have not worn it but once since i got it and i dont know where i would wear it. perhaps somewhere tropical or in the woods, but i shall have to get rid of the leather straps first. They are there just for show anyways and dont actually hold the kilt together. Compared to my wool kilts, even my casual wool kilt, the acrylic just didnt hold water and was not what i expected.
    That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
    Aldous Huxley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of acrylic monstrosities, one in navy blue and the other in Wallace tartan. No fell and no lining. But hey they were real cheap and are OK for lazing around in.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    An arcylic kilt (vendor's name withhold to be considerate) I bought a few years ago. It didn't have a fell sewn in, it didn't have a reverse pleat with the underapron, it was uncomfortable, I couldn't stand the material, and the hang was horrid. To top it off I could have gotten a kilt in the same material, but with way better construction from another, now very well known vendor, for a fraction of the cost.
    Hey Colin - I had completely wiped that purchase from my mind. I got stung on one of those deals too. I ended up using some of the tartan as a seat cover for awhile. Didn't work very well for that either.

That is one good, really good thing about this forum. If you do your home-work, you can get some really good deals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was purchased. Advertised as good sport kilt, like for rugby. It was acrylic, no taper, no sewn pleats, top band was about 2" high with some type of stiffener that without it would be hardly called a kilt. And the cheap, cheap, sheet metal buckles...

W
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunatly I've been lucky. I started of with Stillwater's heavy weight and was most impressed. I'm further lucky () in that I have two kilt makers close enough to take my measurments for me, Canadian casual Kilts and RKilts. I've been bespoke since.

Edit: That being said, I'd not hesitate getting another SWK in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well can't say I have had a bad kilt, but was asked by a friend to fix a kilt she bought on line from a company in New Jersey for her son to wear at his wedding. The fabric was so thin it looked more like shirt fabric, none of the pleats were set to any pattern. I ended up loaning him one of my kilts to wear. Thank god that we both claim the same clan.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast