X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Final Push!

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Push!

It's really very simple, and you said it yourself -

Just do it!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one other thing I try to remind my customers about.

Ask your self the question "Why did I get this kilt in the first place?"

If you got it to show your pride in your heritage, then put that thing on, hold your head proud and get out there and show off that heritage. If the kilt is your heritage then you have a lot to be proud of and there is nothing anyone can say to destroy that. So many people in N. America feel cut off from their heritage. You have the perfect way to show the world Who you are and where you come from.

If you got the kilt because someone said to you, "Boy, you'd look great in a kilt" then put on the kilt and go find that person. All you need to say is, "OK, here I am". The rest will be as they say, history.

If you got the kilt because you saw someone else in a kilt, at a function or event, then go back to that event in your kilt. You already know you will be accepted and fit in. You already know that the kilt is the perfect thing to wear there. You thought so didn't you?

So whatever prompted you to get a kilt is probably the perfect thing or place for you to wear it as your first time "oot among da English".
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you feel at all anxious about it, but you are committed to trying, I'd suggest avoiding scanning faces for reactions. While you're sure to get some smiles and a few positive comments, it's easy to be hyper-sensitive on the first outings. The ones you perceive to be negative could unnerve you more than the positive ones encourage you. And I think it has to be said that the positive comments have a way of appearing on their own without your looking for them, since *most* people practice the if-you-can't-say-something-nice rule and will go out of their way in order to say something nice.

As others have said, try to focus on what you are doing (you are not a parade float), and practice radiating pride and confidence (even if you have to fake the latter a bit).

Relax, enjoy,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said you might want to create an occasion to wear it out, if you are worried about an explanation to others. At this point in my kilting career it really does not matter to me what others think however curiously enough all I seem to get these days are compliments. I am sure that this has to do with confidence, the only way to get that confidence is to go out and do it, and continue wearing your kilt in public.

So if at first you have to have an occasion than so be it, but do yourself a favour and make sure that you look good, I've found that if the outfit is well put together than people will be more accepting of the kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    As others have said you might want to create an occasion to wear it out, if you are worried about an explanation to others. At this point in my kilting career it really does not matter to me what others think however curiously enough all I seem to get these days are compliments. I am sure that this has to do with confidence, the only way to get that confidence is to go out and do it, and continue wearing your kilt in public.

So if at first you have to have an occasion than so be it, but do yourself a favour and make sure that you look good, I've found that if the outfit is well put together than people will be more accepting of the kilt.
    And have nice knees like McMurdo. Strength to you when you take that final plunge (only hold your kilt down when you do).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my first kilt, I was a bit nervous about wearing it out in the real world. I had to force myself, but I did so willingly because I knew how great it felt. I had my kilt on around the house, decided I needed some things at the local hardware megastore and grabbed my keys. I was nervous, but I thought, 'just focus on the mission...what's the worst that can happen...someone can make a rude comment...I can handle that.'

It worked for me.

If you're still a bit nervous about that, then pick a place you find safe, say your local pub...put on the kilt and go, knowing that you have to stop at a store and pick up a few things on the way back home. It gets easier and easier and easier.

You'll thank yourself for it.

More importantly, you'll thank the rest of us for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far every time I have worn mine to an event where I was going to be with friends (where I knew I would get good-natured ribbing), I have had to run another unexpected errand on the way home. (Oh the joys of cell phones, huh?) So far I've noticed a couple of turned heads, but no comments either pro or con. I get TONS more grief from my friends. But then we do that to each other no matter what anyone is wearing.
    I hate to repeat the others, but just go for it. If you're comfortable with yourself wearing it, you'll do fine.
    "...when People are universally ignorant, and debauchd in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
    Samuel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Fine but most of us do care if only a little. The public has a much narrower view of what a kilt is that most people here so being dressed well is more likley to get you good reviews. Looking well is also a confidence booster and your confidence will show. That will also improve how people react to you.

I will point you in the direction of pictures posted by Panache and Hamish. If you take notes from their choices I think you will feel great and look great as well and it is likely you will be very well received.

If your goal is ultimately wear your kilt very casually you can always get more casual as you get more comfortable.
    I couldn't agree more. Very good advice.

Greg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, DtP, you don't say what part of the Earth you're at.

If you have any fears, they will pass quickly once you're out and about...kinda like the first time you found you could balance a bicycle and keep going without crashing.

If you happen to be around any hiking areas why not go hiking in one of your kilts. Nice thing about it, you're out and about. What few people you may meet are probably going the other way, and there's plenty of time to get used to wearing the kilt outdoors and to get used to how it plays in the wind.

What other people may think of you is none of your business.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123