X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Kiltstore delivered a gorgeous kilt

I'm deleting my original post as Nick and I have come to an amicable end.

The 8 yard Balmoral Kilt arrived today, Tues, Dec 11th and it is all that I hoped for and more. It is a truly beautiful garment that I expect to own for my lifetime and pass down to after I depart this life.

I rescind my earlier recommendation. It appears that it is wholly possible that Scotweb did not get my notice of when I needed the kilt. I certainly remember posting that information, but browsers can go awry.

From Nick's description of events, Scotweb did everything they possibly could to get the kilt to me as soon as humanly possible. So kudos to Scotweb.

I will post pictures of me and the kilt after I debut this coming Saturday.

Slainte

John Q.
    Last edited by JohnQ; 11th December 07 at 08:14 PM. Reason: reconsideration of original opinion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about this, I take it you don't have another kilt for the event? Would you be able to rent one possibly?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame that your first post has to be about such an unfortunate set of circumstances. Perhaps you can rent as McMurdo suggested. Most of the experiences with Kiltstore that I have heard about have generally been good ones...guess nobody can ever bat 1,000, though.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's hoping it somehow makes it to you in time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope this sorts itself out OK for you - maybe you will get a hire for your event and your new kilt will be new for the next special event. I am surprised to learn though that the Kilt Store supply the Balmoral tartan - though they probably supply it for export only.
    http://www.tartansauthority.com/Web/...tartanfaqs.asp
    Perhaps you mean which is the most desirable tartan and the answer to that could be the Balmoral tartan which was designed by Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert and which can only be worn by the Royal Family. No weaver in the United Kingdom would produce that for anyone other than the Royal Family. Some overseas weavers have ignored the longstanding convention and produced what purports to be Balmoral. Such behaviour is viewed with great disdain by the Scottish industry and anyone who wore it in Scotland would be committing a great social (but not legal) sin!
    I think Matt Newsome also has a piece on his website about a vintage Balmoral child's kilt which he lets his son wear in the USA but wouldn't let him wear in Scotland.

Oh, and finally, from the Scottish Borders.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been able to find Kilt Rental in the Portland area. At this late date, that would be less than desirable for me.

As for the tartan, it is Irish American. Balmoral is the kilt manufacturer, www.balmoralkilts.com, which Scotweb is the exclusive online retailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Alex - I think the Kiltsore "Balmoral" is their brand name for their 8 yard handsewn tank.

JohnQ - welcome to XMarks and as others have said, I'm sorry this has to be your first post. Welcome anyway!
    Last edited by pdcorlis; 8th December 07 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typos are makin me cwazy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Alex its their "brand" name not a tartan name.

My Cornish National kilt is one of their Balmorals.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are here for you and welcome.
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!

I also am disappointed that my first post is on a sour note. I would have much preferred my first post to be a glowing review of the handsome kilt I received from kiltstore. But alas...

I do have an alternate kilt for this evening but it is 5 yard P/V kilt I bought from www.theFrugalCorner.com. I expect everyone at the event tonight will be impressed, but I will know what could have been.

BTW, Fedex has finally updated the tracking record and the package didn't leave GB until this afternoon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast