X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Improving" lightweight aprons?

I own an 8 yd. trad in 11 oz. tartan wool from Strathmore. I also have on order a USA Kilts "semi-trad" which is in the 11 oz. PV. Many consider any fabric lighter than 13 oz to be too light for a man's kilt. That's debatable, but the truth is that the aprons on such lighter weight kilts are subject to taking wing in any kind of a breeze!

So, I was pondering means of combating this "fly away" tendency. My question for the kilt-makers is this:

If you're constructing a kilt out of one of the lighter weight fabrics - be it wool, PV, acrylic, or whatever - what do you think of making the aprons more substantial and "weighty" by lining them top to bottom? (I'm talking about the aprons only; the pleated area of the kilt is heavy enough.) Such a lining would have to be of some non-stiff fabric that wouldn't interfere with the hang/drape of the tartan itself. Something like satin would work, or linen. One could even fold the tartan fabric back upon itself to create a double-thickness apron.

Anyways, it seems that lined or double-thick aprons would greatly improve the feel and "performance" of kilts made from light-weight fabrics, and such an option could possibly be offered to buyers for an added cost....

What d'you think?
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    One could even fold the tartan fabric back upon itself to create a double-thickness apron.
    This is the method I used in the construction of a kilt for a big man. The non-tartan plaid wool was softer and a little lighter than the worsted wool tartans, and the apron had to be augmented somehow. The apron was doubled back only to the left apron edge, and not into the deep pleat. A light tacking of the two layers along the hem was needed. The fringe was added differently than in The Art of Kiltmaking. The underapron was left as a single thickness. All in all, it looked pretty good on him.

"Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    One could even fold the tartan fabric back upon itself to create a double-thickness apron.
    I think this would be tough unless the apron didn't have any flare (i.e., the waist and hip measurements of the kilt are the same).

If you decided to go the lining route, you should leave the bottom edge free (i.e., attach the lining top, bottom, and sides, but not across the bottom.

B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience satin and linen both shrink at a different rate than wool (even in cold clear water and even air drying, the wool will shrink though not noticeable unless paired with a different fabric). I have backed the apron with the same wool as the kilt, but cut it to match the slope of the front apron, and the inside edge of the back pleat. I also hand stitch it to the inside edge of the back pleat, wouldn't advise tacking it at the bottom edge, if for any reason you measurement isn't perfect then the front apron will hang wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has suggested the obvious. A Kilt Pin. That's what they are for. Well, except that they also allow us guys to show a little bling.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heavy kilt pin.
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    No one has suggested the obvious. A Kilt Pin. That's what they are for. Well, except that they also allow us guys to show a little bling.
    I find the lighter weight kilts tend to be more flexible in the front and I find myself having to pull on the apron edges when I stand to make it flat and not molded around the anatomy (kinda like a front wedgie). The kilt pin and loaded sporran keeps fly ups in check.

How about some kind of fabric stiffener? Sizing? Interfacing?
    Mark Keeney

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering about the initial premise/need. I wear 11 oz PV and wool at a place nicknamed "The Windy Mesa." I've found little wind problems when wearing a regular type kilt pin.

Should a huge gust of wind cause the outer apron to "fly" well then that's what the under apron is for...the same wind that sails the outer apron is going to hold down the underapron.

I'm also wondering the effect of a "lining" on the look of the apron when seated.

A bit of "wind dancing", whether in the pleats or apron, seems to add a bit of sauciness to kilting.

Just me....and I used to worry a lot about "fly up" until I got used to the wind dancing in my kilts. Had all sorts of ideas like sewing drapery weights in the bottom of my kilts. Wind and kilts go together. Let them dance.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ron.

I have 2 kilts, Both are something like 11oz cotton duck cloth. Like Ron, at first I used to worry about fly ups, but it's true - a kilt pin does make a difference. As does the sporran. I've left my house and church before on a windy days and never had a single problem.
    Clan Campbell ~ "Ne Obliviscaris"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I'm wondering about the initial premise/need. I wear 11 oz PV and wool at a place nicknamed "The Windy Mesa." I've found little wind problems when wearing a regular type kilt pin.

Should a huge gust of wind cause the outer apron to "fly" well then that's what the under apron is for...the same wind that sails the outer apron is going to hold down the underapron.

I'm also wondering the effect of a "lining" on the look of the apron when seated.

A bit of "wind dancing", whether in the pleats or apron, seems to add a bit of sauciness to kilting.

Just me....and I used to worry a lot about "fly up" until I got used to the wind dancing in my kilts. Had all sorts of ideas like sewing drapery weights in the bottom of my kilts. Wind and kilts go together. Let them dance.

Ron
    Ron, since you are one of the few lucky owners,what about the lined Pittsburgh kilts?
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast