X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kilt pin placement

I am sure, that over the years, this question has come up. I did a search and I am not sure if I am searching correctly. It says I need 4 words or something....anyway, I was wondering, what is the acceptable placement of the kilt pin. Is it something like 4" from the bottom of the kilt, or 1" from the edge? How does one determine where to put the Kilt. I am sure for Military Kilts there is something in the orders describing the proper kilt placement.

SK Jaybird

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell, it's just placed on the bottom right corner of the top apron. And make sure you only put it on the top layer of fabric, and not through both. It will tear your kilt if you put it through the top and the underside layer. As to placement, I just put it where I can feel it's weight best- meaning I put it where I figure it will do the most good to help protect my modesty should a slight breeze come up and under. I hope this helps a little.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kilt pin serves two purposes.

It's a weight that helps keep the apron laying right, so place the pin on the lower right front of the apron in a position that allows it to function, shifting the location to best suit the tartan design.

It's also a fine piece of male jewellry, so show off a bit!

Your measurements may be a little high, but would work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    And make sure you only put it on the top layer of fabric, and not through both. It will tear your kilt if you put it through the top and the underside layer.
    Ok, this is new to me...I only put it through the top apron? I thought the purpose was to keep the two together? The weight of the pin keeps the apron down, not the pinning of the top to the bottom?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFilomena View Post
    Ok, this is new to me...I only put it through the top apron? I thought the purpose was to keep the two together? The weight of the pin keeps the apron down, not the pinning of the top to the bottom?
    Well alright I know the saying goes "never say never",but as far as a kilt pin and kilt goes, NEVER pin the top apron to the bottom.If you do, you may wreck your kilt in a blink of an eye.Apart from that, it is quite difficult to get the front apron to hang properly if the two are connected.It is not compulsery to wear a kilt pin anyway, although it is usual
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th December 07 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayFilomena View Post
    Right, do not pin them together.

I'm sure some of the other historians here can give specifics, but the story goes something like the Queen made a requirement for the soldiers to have some way of having the apron kept down in the interest of modesty, however initially this was done with ribbons sewn on the right edge of the top apron and another on the inside, where they would be tied together to keep the aprons down.

However, most soldiers never tied them and therefore they would hang loose. I've seen ribbons in place of kilt pins in the past. Not so much today.

Eventually, this grew into a large pin. I'm not sure when or how, but that's how it is today.

I often don't wear a kilt pin. When I do, it's mostly for semi-formal or better dress. I guess the Kilt police will be after me now.

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay,

Placement? Depending on the size of the pin, I could guess it might be centered 3 inches from the bottom and side of the apron. From there, adjust until its weight on the apron "feels" right. If the kilt is a tartan, you'll then want to place it on the pattern in a way that pleases your eye.

Look in the "Show us your pics" forum for the thread "Show us your favorite Kilt Pins." There should be enough to give you some ideas, but many of them are close-ups

The search feature was complaining because you had a word shorter than 4 letters---probably "pin." To search for that thread, try entering "show kilt pins"
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Placement would be approximate, and, IMO, should be dictated by the tartan. What I mean is that the pin should be centered in some way related to the tartan, like over a crossing stripe or in the center of a square.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing that has worked for me is sort of eyeballing it in down in that lower corner of the apron. I just hang the kilt up and play with placement. Different for each tartan. Putting the kilt pin at a major intersection of the tartan pattern seems distracting, I like it to be on a plainer background part of the tartan.

Also depends on the design of the kilt pin. Just eyeball each one in.

And, as Ham suggests, get a different kilt pin for each kilt. That way you don't have to put it on and take it off unless you're gonna clean the kilt pin or clean/wash the kilt.

And, if you get it 'wrong' you'll know it when you're wearing the kilt, the pin just won't feel quite right. So readjust.

But there's no distance measurement like for military uniform insignia.

And, you can play. I like the looks of some of the two or three high kilt pins some guys wear.

Don't forget to run the pin part through a rubber band on the backside. That way if it somehow comes unclipped you won't lose the kilt pin, the rubber band will hold it.

Ron
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 25th December 07 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Playing with a sharp object
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading "somewhere"* that the pin should be "three fingers" from the bottom of the kilt, your hose should be "three fingers" from the bottom of your knee, and your sporran should be "three fingers" below the bottom of your belt buckle.

In practice, I usually give it a S.W.A.G.

* - "Somewhere", of course, being the same place that all apocraphyl knowledge comes from; such as the origin of the toothpick, how to pick a winning race horse and how to determine what a woman really wants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast