X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a kilt to work

Hey all-
    Got a couple of questions about wearing my kilt to work. I have a Utilikilt and I was planning on wearing it to work for "casual friday."

I have to say I am a little bit nervous about wearing my kilt to work for the first time. Anything I should know about? I work at a telecom company and my boss said she is fine with me wearing it.

Can I wear it with a long sleeve shirt? Anything I should avoid wearing it with?

Thanks!
    Adam
    Clan Gordon

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the major hurdle jumped! Your supervisor says go for it!

For the last four months, I've been wearing a kilt to work on Fridays and using the take off from casual Friday to Kilted Friday.

Wear what you are comfortable with, AND

from the Old Dominion State!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam - Welcome to XMarks!. If you do a search here you'll find quite a few threads on wearing your kilt to work. I work for the U.S. Government and haven't worn pants to the office in over a year, myself.

The main thing is to wear the kilt with a sense of ownership. It is, after all, a garment, not a costume. Don't let it wear you. Stand tall. Be ready for any number of questions, as they WILL come. For example:

"What's under the kilt?"
    "Are you wearing it like a true Scotsman?"
    "What's with the kilt?"
    "Do you play the pipes?"
    "Where are your bagpipes?" (Under my kilt is always a good answer)

Also, be prepared for the ladies to say "OMIGID I love it!"

A Utilikilt is nearly always considered a casual garment. It works well with polos and casual button shirts tucked in, or a sweater left untucked. For a casual Friday at work, leave the T-shirt in the drawer if you want to be allowed to wear it again. UK's look great with boots. For some ideas on casual kilt wearing check out this thread .

Good luck and keep us posted on how the day went.

Oh, and keep in mind, if things get a bit dicey: BYDAND!
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam, Welcome to the neighborhood

What model UK are you wearing? I'd suggest different shirts depending on the model kilt. If it's a mocker or original, you would pair it up just like a pair of dockers or slacks and it should be very easy to put together a perfectly acceptabel outfit by the modern business casual standard. Golf shirt, t-shirt, long-sleeve, short sleeve. That's one of the great things about kilts, the way it is so versatile in style of dress. What you pair it with determines if it is formal, semi or casual.

My first kilt to work was a UK survival, and I'd just pair it with a golf shirtand hiking boots (with socks pushed down, exactly like I'd wear shorts).

Experiment a little in the mirror and check out the casual kilt photos here till you find a look that you like.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been on both ends of the scale - total acceptance and prohibition - at work would guess it doesn't matter much what you wear with the kilt, the kilt will be the issue if there is one.

Only suggestion I have is to wear exactly what you'd wear with pants on a casual Friday only substitute the kilt for the pants - if that works for you.

If you feel the need a tartan shirt can add to the cultural message of the kilt.

It helps if the turnout looks nice though. Check Hamish's gallery for coordination ideas. He has a lot of UKs. I have some UK's at work pics in my gallery too but don't know how helpful they'd be.

Enjoy the freedom your boss has given - it is a gift.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a kilt to work everyday, however I leave my UK and my Union kilt at home and wear the tartan kilts instead, however if that is the kilt you have then wear it. My only advise is that you should make sure that your overall appearance is neat and tidy, it will help you to be able to wear it the next time you want to. Perhaps you could post a picture of what you were thinking of wearing with the kilt, I'm sure you will get many suggestions, and opinions if you do. The really good thing is that your supervisor has given you the green light, that can be tricky, so you are more than halfway there.

CactusJack is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,
    Seems like you already have some good advise, I personely can't wear a kilt to work do to safety reasons but let me just add wear it with pride and,
    From a sunny and chilly St. Louis, Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worn a kilt to work (yet!) but it's great that you already have supervisor approval. While there are others with actual experience here, let me just echo McMurdo's comment about being sure to dress neat and tidy. Don't give anyone a chance to complain.

Also, may I suggest dressing up a bit more than you might normally on a casual Friday? At least the first time. While I don't like being too dressed up myself, if I know I'm dressed really nicely then I have extra confidence and you mentioned being nervous about wearing it at work for the first time.

However you wear it, best of luck to you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I always wear a traditional kilt to work; either all black or a tartan depending on the occasion, (my work takes me into court, so I would always wear black on a court day), though I keep my casual kilts for leisure wear. I'd think a single colour Utilikilt would be ideal for casual workwear, teamed with thick socks, boots and a polo shirt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. I don't have anything new to add to the discussion. Just let us know how it went.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast