X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyote Pelt

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coyote Pelt

If all goes well, (for me, not the coyote who has been terrorizing my neighborhood as of late,) I will soon be the proud owner of a coyote pelt, albeit still attached to the coyote......hence my question; I've never skinned anything but my knee before, is skinning this animal something I could attempt with some coaching, or am I better off taking it to a local taxidermist? If taxidermy is the answer, (then the question is usually somewhat bizarre,) how much should it cost to have Wiley's pelt removed and treated in such a manner that it would be suitable to have it sent off to a skilled sporran maker, (maybe one in Roswell, GA,) and have it made into a sporran? I can almost hear all of you saying: "this guy is really counting his chickens," but if I don't shoot this coyote pretty soon, there won't be any chickens and my wife may well be minus one cat. I have a plan to bait* and shoot the coyote, I just don't know what to do next and how soon. Normally I respect wildlife in all it's abundant forms, but this coyote has got to go and he might as well become a sporran for it. Any and all advice is welcommed and appreciated. Thanks,
    David

Please note....in "baiting" I do not intend to use my wife's cat......at least for now.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taxidermist or tanner.
    And don't watch the thing being done either. I think you can keep the carcus in a (sealed) plastic bag in the fridge until the... icky deed.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the idea of a professional taxidermist. Having cased several animals myself, it takes only a small slip of the knife to ruin an otherwise beautiful pelt.

Additionally, please check your municipal regulations concerning firing a firearm in a residential area and the state wildlife regulations concerning coyotes. Remember, ignorance of the law is no defense.

Cordially,
    David

creativeaccents
    With the high incidence of rabies in Georgia, even the smallest slip of the knife could make such a pelt mighty costly. I just saw a coyote that had evidently been smacked by a car here in Cartersville, but really didn't think it worth the gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I was only thinking of the "skinning" and preparing of the pelt in my first post. I'm kind of thinking that it's not so good of a thing to do now safety wise.
    As for the cridder, what you need is a donky to chase it off. Just joking, that's what the cow ranchers used back home when I was growing up.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedsawyer View Post
    Please note....in "baiting" I do not intend to use my wife's cat......at least for now.
    Does the neighbor have a cat, I understand they are high on coyotes delicacy list.

If you eliminate this threat to your farm you might want to search the net for coyotes masks. I saw one a few days ago for about $5. It seem to me that all you need is the mask and enough fur for the front of the Sporran. This should be fairly inexpensive if you can find #2 quality pelts. I think it would be cheaper than having your problem coyote skinned and tanned.
    Last edited by cacunn; 31st December 07 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish & Game folks around here say that they can always tell when coyote move into a neighborhood by counting all of the "Lost Pet" posters on the phone poles. I've a cat and two Cocker Spaniels...yeah; I'd terminate with extreme prejudice.

I met a fellow at the Ren fair some years ago; they put on a raptor show, with assorted hawks, owls, and a rehabed golden eagle. He was kilted and sporting an impressive full-face bobcat sporran; when I inquired; "He came after our birds, and my wife shot him." Good girl.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really isn't hard at all to skin and cure a pelt. the stuff to do it is readily available at any good hunting goods store......

But if you have never done it, and you really want to save the hide, then find a local guy to do it for you. Better to practice a bit before you tackle a pelt you want to save.

If there is really no special emotional attachment to the pelt, and you just want a Coyote sporran, it would be better (and probably cheaper) to just bury the old guy and go ...here... or ...here... or ...here... and just buy a pelt.

creativeaccents
    Not trying to be overly silly about the rabies aspect, but honestly concerned as I had a friend whose young brother died up near Commerce from rabbit fever after cleaning a rabbit.
    Did some research on rabies in Georgia and found that of the hundreds of cases detected here only a few were in coyotes, but there have been rabid coyotes up near Lawrenceville. Apparently, the primary source is the raccoons they eat. The caveat in most articles was that coyotes are rarely brought in for testing.
    Rabies is not transferred by exposure to the blood, but through any contact with saliva...something to consider in even thinking about the mask area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this web site. Very informative...

http://www.coyotehuntinginfo.com/

http://www.coyotehuntinginfo.com/how-to-skin-a-coyote/

Ethical hunters respect the animals we hunt, and, when we hunt, we do so responsibly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast