X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question A new sub-forum, perhaps?

A question to the Moderators:

Considering the particular subject matter that brings us all back here time after time, would it not be appreciated and used by most of us to have a sub-forum dealing with history? Most of us are here for kilt related talk, but i have noticed that the kilted tend to enjoy other common interests such as history, culture, anthropology, linguistics, and literature. I read a lot of history. Mostly I have been reading anything I can get my hands on that deals with the Northern Europe and the British Isles (although I use "lately" loosely because I seem to have been stuck on those subjects now for quite some time.) It seems most of us would enjoy an area where we could gather and talk about these things, and/or recommend books to each other.

So, mods, waddya think?

If such a place already exists within these hallowed borders, please do shine a light for me.

edit: Anyone else can feel free to chime in too. Please.

Thanks.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by DireStraitsFan; 1st December 07 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edited.
    Last edited by DireStraitsFan; 1st December 07 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think we are already free to discuss all these other things in the Off-Topic forum.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DireStraitsFan View Post
    Guess not.
    Do have a little patience. It was only a couple of hours between your posts. It might seem like everyone is on here all the time, but for something like this, the moderators would have to discuss it.

I don't personally see any harm in it, but then I'm not in charge of things.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a little joke at my kirk:

Q:How many Presbyterians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Change?!?

Haha, but seriously, I think that would be neat. All of the old pictures that have been floating from General Kilt Talk of Show Us Your Pictures would finally find a good home...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper View Post

A: Change?!? . . .
    There's a little joke at my church:

Q:How many Episcopalians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A:Change that light bulb? How dare you suggest that that light bulb be changed? I'll have you know that my Great-Grandmother gave that bulb to the parish . . .

But seriously, I think this is a good idea, especially if we agree to restrict posts to facts documented in extant historical records and omit the fantasies which have arisen since the '45.

Also, I would like to see an area on the board where (family-friendly, of course) humor would have an authorized home. There are hundreds of excellent jokes about Scots and kilts alone, and thousands that pipers and drummers tell of each other.

"No man is genuinely happy, married, who has to drink worse whiskey than he used to drink when he was single." ---- H. L. Mencken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper View Post

A: Change?!?

Haha, but seriously, I think that would be neat. All of the old pictures that have been floating from General Kilt Talk of Show Us Your Pictures would finally find a good home...
    <>

The way I heard it was:

Q: How many Orthodox priests does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A: What is "change"?

</>

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess not.
    Exemplary display of ice-cold patience, that.

We appreciate your suggestion and will take the matter up amongst the staff members. However, there may not be a decision in two days or even two weeks, so please don't start chafing after just two hours. Two of our staff members are away for the weekend, so they'll not even know about this until Monday, soonest.

There are only two of us that have the ability to set up new forum sections. I was logged in here a couple hours before your suggestion and just logged back in now. (You'll just have to excuse me, but the other three forums I help moderate, along with my own three forums and four other sites have prevented me from being here in the interim.) The other individual (who owns the site and should be afforded some input into the decision) has not been online today at all.

We'll get to your suggestion when we can get to it, you have my word. As I type this, there has been no conversation about it at all, so it's not going to happen overnight. Just try to bear with us. And, as Alex has pointed out, you're quite welcome to post on these subjects in the Off Topic forum, so it's not as if you don't have an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Exemplary display of ice-cold patience, that.

We appreciate your suggestion and will take the matter up amongst the staff members. However, there may not be a decision in two days or even two weeks, so please don't start chafing after just two hours. Two of our staff members are away for the weekend, so they'll not even know about this until Monday, soonest.

There are only two of us that have the ability to set up new forum sections. I was logged in here a couple hours before your suggestion and just logged back in now. (You'll just have to excuse me, but the other three forums I help moderate, along with my own three forums and four other sites have prevented me from being here in the interim.) The other individual (who owns the site and should be afforded some input into the decision) has not been online today at all.

We'll get to your suggestion when we can get to it, you have my word. As I type this, there has been no conversation about it at all, so it's not going to happen overnight. Just try to bear with us. And, as Alex has pointed out, you're quite welcome to post on these subjects in the Off Topic forum, so it's not as if you don't have an option.
    I think my second post has completely skewed my intention here. I wasn't expecting a change today, or at all. I was thinking that other forum users would chime in on the idea because many of them seem to share my enthusiasm for history. Excuse my lack of patience. It wasn't directed at anyone, much less the moderators.

I am sorry that you are so busy, but the sarcasm was completely unnecessary.

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry that you are so busy, but the sarcasm was completely unnecessary.
    Seems we share the same view of the other's post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast