X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kilt/Scot history

I may be the only one interested, but I think we should have a catagory for history. I have met a few history reenactors here, and have shared and learned some interesting things. I would like to see a dedicated spot for us history buffs to get together. Thanks for listening!
    Haxtonhouse
    The Fish WhispererŽ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I think it would be great to have a place for the wise and learned history buffs to empty out their brains. I don't have a lot to offer, but I have a lot to learn.

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been suggested before. See this thread for more information.

We feel a history forum section is outside the scope of this particular site.

If you're interested in discussions on Scottish history and other Scottish topics, check out the Clann Alba Forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    This has been suggested before. See this thread for more information.

If you're interested in discussions on Scottish history and other Scottish topics, check out the Clann Alba Forums.
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked out the Clann Alba Forums and it looks cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think this is a good recomendation. I understand that this is a kilted community, However in the spirit of wearing a kilt I would like to see a catagory for history and current events in Scotland. Thanks.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt wearing in history

It has been suggested before by others (including myself) but I would like to see a photo section where members could post historical pictures (military & otherwise) featuring the kilt, as myself & others have done in other threads.
    There has been some interest expressed for such a section, and I think members would be interested in seeing how the kilt has been worn in the past, as well as how its been accessorized.
    It also would make said pictures more accessible, rather than to have to search individual threads.
    Thanks.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ RobertsonII - For reasons already explained in this thread, there will not be a Scottish History forum set up. We have a strict policy of not allowing political discussion on this site and it is very difficult to discuss Scottish history, or even Scottish current events, without crossing that line. Witness the American Civil War thread, teetering on the brink, for an example of how easily a thread can get into hot water.

We do not feel that Scottish events have much bearing for those members and guests that have no connection to Scotland and prefer not to wear tartan kilts. I am aware of your own feelings along these lines, but I feel you need to be aware we have many valued members of this site that have nothing nor want anything to do with Scottish history and culture.

We do our best to keep divisive and potentially contentious topics removed from this site and that is the reason behind our decision. There are other forums that are more receptive to these topics and we suggest people seek those sites out for those types of discussion.

@ BoldHighlander - As for your suggestion on displaying images, there are some changes with how images are displayed on the forum forthcoming. Highlandtide has been working on this behind the scenes for some time now and perhaps <hint, hint, hint> my mentioning it here will prod him into finishing things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you please foward me information regarding these other forums. I would like to visit them. Also just so we are clear your answer was very terse and if there is anything I have done to offend you in such a way I truly appologize. Perhaps in the future we can work on our effective communication skills .
    Last edited by RobertsonII; 3rd February 08 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, no offense taken at all. I highly doubt I'll be working on any communication skills, but still no offense taken.

To answer your question, see post 3 in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I guess I will not be working on mine either and we will agree to disagree.